Talk

Advanced search

Putting stuff in mouth..............yes or no?

(43 Posts)
lockets Wed 09-Feb-05 16:24:27

Message withdrawn

lockets Wed 09-Feb-05 16:27:27

Message withdrawn

katzguk Wed 09-Feb-05 16:28:21

with my DD it depended on the item, if safe to investigate with mouth then in it could go if not then she was told no

Grommit Wed 09-Feb-05 16:29:34

Lockets - I let ds put his toys in his mouth - as you say this is one of the ways they learn. Obviously only his own toys and safe items!

moondog Wed 09-Feb-05 16:29:38

Er, this is bad news. Mouth is a primary sensory organ at this stage. Telling them to stop is like telling you or I to wear a blindfold.
Really thick (sorry!)

lockets Wed 09-Feb-05 16:29:51

Message withdrawn

moondog Wed 09-Feb-05 16:30:50

Ds(7 mths) has spent the afternoon mouthing and gnawing half oranges. Can't get enough of 'em!

lockets Wed 09-Feb-05 16:31:04

Message withdrawn

moondog Wed 09-Feb-05 16:32:14

Sorry lockets, I feel really angry and upset now...
They are depriving these babies fgs!!

lockets Wed 09-Feb-05 16:32:59

Message withdrawn

Gwenick Wed 09-Feb-05 16:33:13

As along as it's not FILTHY (ie covered in dog poo LOL) or small enough to choke on then I've let both of mine put things in their mouth - yes my youngest still has a fascination with shoes and as long as they're not 'visibly' dirty (ie dog poo, mud etc) I don't go RUSHING to stop him 'tasting'........he's baby that's what they do (gosh that sound awful doesn't it LOL)

Bozza Wed 09-Feb-05 16:33:59

How silly is that? Lots of rattles etc also combine as teethers and have special surfaces designed for chewing. Anything safe is allowed in DDs mouth. Had to retrieve a sticker that had come off a bath toy boat last night but if she chews her rattle, cup handle, towel etc I don't have a problem.

These women must be very busy if my DD is anything to go by.

franch Wed 09-Feb-05 16:34:44

moondog is so right. DD is 12.5 months and has recently started mouthing things a lot again because she's teething. Has become passionately attached to a Vaseline tin lid! And why not? I've been teaching her lately not to eat paper, and keeping dangerous stuff out of her mouth obviously, but otherwise, FGS ... they stop doing it naturally after a while anyway!

muminlondon Wed 09-Feb-05 16:35:18

If it's dirty or dangerous you'd take it away, but otherwise no need, they enjoy it and just grow out of this stage. Very odd!

lockets Wed 09-Feb-05 16:36:06

Message withdrawn

Bozza Wed 09-Feb-05 16:36:25

Not really Gwenick - DD has quite a liking for slippers actually. I sort of half-heartedly remove them.

beansprout Wed 09-Feb-05 16:36:32

Ds is 3.5 months and will put anything he can get his hands on into his mouth. If there aren't any objects, he will stuff what he is wearing in. Last night he had half his gro bag in there. As has been said, this is how he learns. It is up to me to keep him safe, but I can't stop him doing something so instinctive, surely?

KateandtheGirls Wed 09-Feb-05 16:36:46

A lot of baby toys are specifically made to be used by the baby as something to go in the mouth. I can understand they might not want the baby putting everything in it's mouth (although I'm like Gwenick in that respect), but they have to let the baby put age appropriate toys in it's mouth.

lockets Wed 09-Feb-05 16:39:52

Message withdrawn

happymerryberries Wed 09-Feb-05 16:41:40

I let mine, it is a normal developmental stage (not a razor etc natch!) But dd never did past the age of 6 months, ds did

moondog Wed 09-Feb-05 16:42:25

Stupid stupid neighbour people...

KateandtheGirls Wed 09-Feb-05 16:44:51

It's one thing to tell your baby "no" to putting stuff in their mouth, but to actually tap their hand is ludicrous and very annoying. I agree with you moondog.

tarantula Wed 09-Feb-05 16:46:42

franch how do you manage to teach them not to eat paper??? We have moved most books etc out of dds way etc but she always finds something. I reckon shes eaten half a tree by now Dd has put all kinds into her mouth and Im always legging it after her and grabbing miniscule crumbs etc that she finds on the ground before she puts them in her mouth. But have always been relaxed re toys etc after all its a very important development stage. Children learn by putting things in their month.

moondog Wed 09-Feb-05 16:47:07

Hey lockets, ask your neighbours innocently if food is ALL that goes in their mouths....

Blu Wed 09-Feb-05 16:47:38

I think it is actually cruel to tell a 7 month old 'no' for doing something which is a necessary driving instinct. And as for the hand-slapping - how can they be so ignorant!!!!!
And if it it something that is unclean/dangerous, I would just tactfully (with distraction) remove it - certainly not show disapproval with a 'no'. How are they supposed to know what is ok? Disapproval for folowing an instinct at that age must be really confusing for the poor baby.
Aaaargh!
(oops,that was a rant, wasn't it!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now