Talk

Advanced search

2 year checks, do they still happen?

(21 Posts)
fizzbuzz Mon 21-Jul-08 17:40:25

Dd 2 last week..........Am sure hv said they checked at 2 years.

bogie Mon 21-Jul-08 17:42:51

Yeas they do still happen but I think you have to ring and book.... ds didn't get one untill he was 2.6 when old hv changed to new hv.

RubySlippers Mon 21-Jul-08 17:44:21

we don't have them anymore

i happened to take DS for his yearly weigh in and the HV asked some fairly basic questions and we got some free books

fizzbuzz Mon 21-Jul-08 17:44:26

I thought they contacted you...........they did with dd at 6 weeks, and 9 months

DontNeedAnything Mon 21-Jul-08 17:45:58

They have stopped doing them routinely round here.

They do them for some children and not for others (which when translated probably means something like you might get one for a first child, not a hope in hell for subsequent children.)

Obv if there are any concerns the parent can make the call to teh HV.

JackieNo Mon 21-Jul-08 17:46:03

Nope, not here (oxon). Guess it might depend on where you are.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 21-Jul-08 17:48:13

I was told (altho not by HV) that now they judt send you a checklisy and you only contact HV if you are worried about something.

DS is 2 next week & we haven't seen HV since his 9 mo check.

ilovemydog Mon 21-Jul-08 17:51:18

DD got her 2 year check last week...

YumeeMumee Mon 21-Jul-08 18:01:54

Just found out that they have stopped doing them routinely round our way too...am a bit disappointed shock.

I was sent a leaflet covering things that he 'should' be doing once he's 2 and whilst I'm not worried, it would have been nice to have that reassurance :-)

I haven't been to weigh my DS for ages....once he turned 1, the HV said that they discouraged parents to come as they're so busy(!) so as I haven't been worried about DS's development, I haven't been but it would be nice to keep a record [and check] on his weight as DS is a very active little boy and happy but he eats like a sparrow! Maybe I should just go anyway?

merryandmad Mon 21-Jul-08 18:04:03

My dd2 has just had a letter apointment for her 2 year check. We are in Staffordshire, where are you?

cmotdibbler Mon 21-Jul-08 18:06:52

The HV contacted us to arrange one - we're in Worcestershire

Seona1973 Mon 21-Jul-08 19:36:42

we dont get an 8 month one or a 2 year one here so ds hasnt been seen since he was 6 weeks old. I did go with him to the weigh and go clinic a few times but havent been there since he turned 1 (is now 21 months old). We are in north lanarkshire in scotland.

fizzbuzz Mon 21-Jul-08 19:55:24

I'm in Sheffield. Surely this should either be entire country or no one. Good old postcode lottery again....

crokky Mon 21-Jul-08 19:57:24

I received a letter with a couple of questions on - had to sign to say whether I wanted the 2 year check or not. It's optional here.

SlowDown Mon 21-Jul-08 19:58:13

Make sure you get the bookstart books you are entitled to I say! Here, you now pick them up from the public library at around 18months and then again at around 3.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 20:00:18

Message withdrawn

candyfluff Mon 21-Jul-08 20:02:48

my friends little girl had her 2year check when she was nearly 3!!!!
my ds is 2 on wednesday and im wondering do they do hearing checks again or not ? he had a clear one at birth

fizzbuzz Mon 21-Jul-08 20:25:18

I've had the books through playgroup...
Must phone hv to check it out, am sure it was her who mentioned it in the first place!

ruddynorah Mon 21-Jul-08 20:30:32

we moved to a new area at christmas, next to our old area but different health authority. when dd turned 2 in may we were sent an appointment for 2 yr check up in old area, and a checklist thing from new area saying no need for appointment if she can do these things 1-10.

LittleB Mon 21-Jul-08 20:53:17

I'm in Somerset, no checks here, or letters and lists, assuming they'd have got around to it by now if they did do it as dd's 3.2. But I avoid the HV's if I can, last time I was there - weight and height check when dd was 18mths she berated me for saying we were happy with 1 child ad not having any more choildren for her to play with. This in front of waiting room full of people and her not giving me a chance to explain reasons more fully, not that I should need to, but it made me so angry I won't go back until I have to!

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 21-Jul-08 21:06:09

Still do them in North Herts, but running 5 or 6 months behind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now