Talk

Advanced search

what to expect from visit to community paediatrician?

(22 Posts)
smallwhitecat Wed 16-Jul-08 14:12:18

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Wed 16-Jul-08 14:12:46

Message withdrawn

FioFio Wed 16-Jul-08 14:14:23

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Wed 16-Jul-08 14:18:59

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Wed 16-Jul-08 15:13:00

Message withdrawn

Kewcumber Wed 16-Jul-08 15:17:55

DS was assessed at about 16 months, did lots of playing with puzzles and toys, but DS wasn't verbal at that point and of necessaity the birth and family history were a trifle sparse (!) so a bit different to most I would assume. It was more detialed than HV assessment.

Flower3554 Wed 16-Jul-08 15:18:02

I had to take lo to see the community paed recently and to be honest it was more to do with asking me questions that lo "performing"

I think they understand that what the child does at home is often unlikely to be repeated in front of a stranger.

The doctor passed lo a toy to see if he could hold it he also crumpled up a tiny piece of paper "eeh it was high tech" to see if he had a pincer grip.

Mostly though it was "can he do this yet" type questions.

Kewcumber Wed 16-Jul-08 15:19:20

DS only had a few words at 20 months and they wouldn;t refer him and still won;t at 2.7 yrs but will reassess at 3. My friend is a SALT and unless there is a hearing or understanding problem then I'd be surprised if they referred.

nooka Wed 16-Jul-08 15:31:59

We had an assessment when ds was four or five (reception). . Compared to the OT and physio assessments, which focused entirely on ds we thought it a bit of a waste of time. Lots of history taken from me and dh, and a few rudimentary tests for ds. Then they sent us a questionnaire to fill out to see if he was autistic. dh took ds for another assessment six months later and then we fell out of the system or were discharged - we're not sure which as we never got any feedback after the assessment. So we assumed that he was OK (which is what we thought anyway).

smallwhitecat Wed 16-Jul-08 15:36:07

Message withdrawn

Kewcumber Wed 16-Jul-08 15:52:07

I'm not really sure he needs one smallwhite cat so am happy to agree with HV that she'll see him again in 6 months - its what I wanted. I think another 6 months will make it clearer whether he has a speech problem because of his early start (26 week preemie, no one-to-one care for first 12 months, no English first 12 months) or if there is an underlying reason.

smallwhitecat Wed 16-Jul-08 15:58:55

Message withdrawn

Kewcumber Wed 16-Jul-08 16:02:59

he's done pretty well so far and if speech delays are the worst we have to deal with I'll consider myself very lucky!

FioFio Wed 16-Jul-08 17:38:02

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Wed 16-Jul-08 17:43:15

Message withdrawn

FioFio Wed 16-Jul-08 17:47:33

Message withdrawn

Poshpaws Wed 16-Jul-08 17:49:00

Hi SWC. I know we have 'spoken' before on another thread. Glad you have been able to get an appoinment so soon.

DS2 had his about 2 weeks ago and it was pretty much like Flower3554's one. Observed DS, asked me a myriad of questions re pregnancy, birth, etc. Through his observations and listening to DS2 jabbering away, the paed felt there was no need to see him again smile. The assesement lasted about 45 mins to an hour.

However he did tell me that if he thought there were any problems, they would normally keep an eye and re-assess in 6 months. From what you have mentioned before about DS and how he has come on, if they think there is a problem, this will probably be the route they take.

Good luck.

smallwhitecat Wed 16-Jul-08 17:53:10

Message withdrawn

smallwhitecat Thu 24-Jul-08 16:29:36

Message withdrawn

ReallyTired Thu 24-Jul-08 17:11:57

I am sorry about the worries that you had with your child's development.

My son saw a paedtiatrian about his walking at 22 months. He was assessed by a physio and a community paediatrian. He also saw the community paediatrian inconjunction with an orthopedic surgeon to decide how best to treat his ankles. These appointments were relaxed and my son just played.

At about the age of 3 again he saw the same community paediatrian. We had a really evil pre school leader who was insistant that my son was autisic. She wanted my son assessed by an educational pschologist and threatened to exclude my son if we did not comply.

I stood my ground and had my son assessed by a community paediatian for autism. It turned out that my son was not in anyway autisic, but we discovered he was deaf. He had no speech at the age of three, but was offering the paediatian pretend cups of tea.

My son saw the community paediatrian until he was five and half years old. He is a happy and healthy little boy and doing well at school.

smallwhitecat Thu 24-Jul-08 17:14:05

Message withdrawn

ReallyTired Thu 24-Jul-08 18:02:15

My little boy can swim 25 metres, he can run, skip and jump like any other six year old. No one would ever guess that he had 18 months of physio.

Our community paediatrian is a bit a like a coordinator. She decides what services a child needs and also makes sure that the school/ nursery has all the right support. Child development centres are great and give really good holistic care of a child.

My son is more than just a pair of excessively tight tendons or a pair of ears. At our last and final appointment with the paediatrian he joined in the discussion ie. to say he prefers hearing aids to grommets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now