Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal for a friend's 3yo child to repeatedly call me "Mummy"?

(4 Posts)
BretonStripe Mon 07-Mar-16 19:27:53

I've not known the family long (met through older kids) but every time we meet, this woman's just-turned 3yo calls me "Mummy" whilst putting his arms up to be held/cuddled by me confused I've always laughed it off and been relaxed and jokey about it ("I'm not your Mummy Darling; she's over there") but I'm just wondering if it's normal/others have experienced it? He has speech delay, don't know if that's relevant.

MattDillonsPants Tue 08-Mar-16 00:45:32

It's probably related to his speech delay....don't worry about it. Don't say "I'm not your Mummy" but correct in a positive way such as "My name is Breton isn't it?" with a smile.

BretonStripe Tue 08-Mar-16 09:44:55

Oh, ok, thanks! I think most of the time I do say "Mummy's over there, look", but will remember to be positive not negative. He was referred to a SALT last year but hasn't seen one yet. Maybe when he starts therapy he'll stop calling me Mummy smile

Ferguson Tue 08-Mar-16 18:22:11

It probably just means you are a woman he feels he likes, or can trust, and he just applies the 'label' Mummy, because his vocabulary is limited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now