Talk

Advanced search

Why has he stopped rolling over?

(11 Posts)
Char11 Sun 04-Nov-12 17:58:54

Hi All,
Just wondering if this is normal behaviour really. My 17 week old starting rolling over, from back to front last week (at 16 weeks). He was fascinated by it and did it constantly for about a week - and then stopped. Coincidently he stopped the day he had his 16 week jabs, but I don't think this is related (or is it??).

I have read that sometimes babies stop doing something while they are acquiring another new skill, but not sure if that's true, and he's only just grasped this one so was surprised he'd stopped so quickly.

Any thoughts?....

ISeeThreadPeople Sun 04-Nov-12 18:02:58

Yup, it's normal. They tend to become obsessed with mastering single skills, practise to death and move on. Give it a while and he'll start up again.

Bear in mind if he had injections in his leg, he may also just be a bit sore.

Char11 Sun 04-Nov-12 18:15:34

Oh good point, they were definitely sore on the day and he hasn't rolled since so maybe he's just not thought to do it since smile

Good to know that its normal though, he certainly did seem a bit obsessed by it - wonder what the next obsession will be?! smile

LeBFG Sun 04-Nov-12 18:25:25

My DS did roll quite a few times at that age but it lasted about a week. He then stopped. Completely. He suddenly started doing the most elegant, accomplished rolls at 6 months. Babies can be weird eh?

ZuleikaD Mon 05-Nov-12 07:59:28

Perfectly normal - he's mastered that so now he's doing something else.

Char11 Mon 05-Nov-12 13:37:39

Great, that's really reassuring. Can't wait to see his next trick smile

Bibs123 Mon 05-Nov-12 15:40:57

maybe he has decided he doesn't like lying on his tummy...

ecuse Mon 05-Nov-12 15:57:05

Yep, my DD did a roll or two over the space of a week and then nothing for the next couple of months. And the lazy little tyke didn't acquire any other skill in the interim either.

LeBFG Mon 05-Nov-12 16:40:30

Yes he was ecuse, lots of brainy brain cell connections. Only you couldn't see them wink.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Mon 05-Nov-12 19:40:26

DS rolled once at 5 months and didn't bother again until he was 14 months!! He is 2.8 now and can roll perfectly, especially mid-tantrum smile

Char11 Tue 06-Nov-12 19:14:21

Think he might be trying to get to grips with going in the other direction if today is anything to go by. And spot on Bibs, he definitely doesn't like being on his tummy. When he was rolling lots I had to be constantly on hand to roll him back again!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now