Advanced search

I am taking my daughter out of school!

(21 Posts)
AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 21-Oct-11 10:48:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 21-Oct-11 11:22:16

ScaredTEECat Fri 21-Oct-11 11:24:46

Well, if she doesn't need to be there and you have alternative means of care, go for it.

You do have another choice, though. Get through it until she settles. I am not sure why she would have issues with kindergarten but is fine at full time day care? Could it be the school?

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 21-Oct-11 11:28:10

RavenVonChaos Fri 21-Oct-11 11:28:11

My daughter struggled with state nursery at three so I moved her back to day care for a couple of terms. worked out fine. Nursery was too big, manic, and like a mini-school. All my other coped fine, but not dd2. She is 8 now and loves school.

oldmum42 Fri 21-Oct-11 11:30:25

Agree with SCARED, If she was happy at day care, whats the school doing that doesn't suit your DD? Are they forcing them to sit at desks, do formal learning?

stealthsquiggle Fri 21-Oct-11 11:38:04

YANBU to look for a solution, but I would be inclined to talk to the Kindergarten first. What is it that is so different from daycare (where she was presumably OK) to kindergarten where she isn't? If the right solution is to go back to daycare for a while, fine, but you need to know anyway so that you get a better transition next time.

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 21-Oct-11 13:56:55

stealthsquiggle Fri 21-Oct-11 14:04:44

in that case YAdefinitelyNBU - but make a plan (even if you change it) as to when you are going to try again with kindergarten.

ScaredTEECat Fri 21-Oct-11 14:07:45

What does the law say about kindergarten at her age in Canada? Can you take her out? Do you think it will be better in a year?

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 21-Oct-11 14:07:55

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 21-Oct-11 14:08:53

SpringHeeledJack Fri 21-Oct-11 14:10:08

writing maths and phonics at three?

shittington

that's too much for a lot of 5yo in my experience

headfairy Fri 21-Oct-11 14:11:38

Blimey, learning to read and write at 3? That Kindergarten sounds a bit full on. Maybe they do things differently in Canada?

There's a school near us which I'd quite like ds to go to, that does free flow play for Reception and year 1 and they even allow it in Year 2 if the child is so inclined. Only do 15 mins of literacy and numeracy a day in Reception (that's age 4-5 for the Canadians out there smile) but they seem to get absolutely amazing results in their SATS or KS2 or whatever it is these days and Ofsted absolutely rave about it.

stealthsquiggle Fri 21-Oct-11 14:12:50

Another year, then shorter days - sounds like a good plan to me - assuming you are not going to completely bankrupt yourselves paying for daycare.

Gargula Fri 21-Oct-11 14:26:19

Just logged on to express my amazement and writing, maths and phonics at 3 and find SpringHeeledJack got there before me much more succinctly with "shittington"!

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Fri 21-Oct-11 22:57:31

daytoday Fri 21-Oct-11 23:09:32

There is a phrase called 'threenager' here. Perhaps your daughter is going through this? They will not always stay cute, like kittens and puppies - they do go through all sorts of phases.

My son was a delight till he was 4 then he went through a strange phase, a very silly unlikeable phase - but please do try to be patient. Your little girl is still the same.

Tantrums are developmentally important - age appropriate behaviours. Don't take them personally. How do you or your husband behave when you are tired and stressed - cranky? snappy? Low on patience? Had a big change in your life? Perhaps your daughter is feeling these things too.

Parenting the good bits is a delight - parenting the bad bits is really tough. But hang in there and don't take it to heart too much.

DestinationUnknown Fri 21-Oct-11 23:18:18

She's 3 and she's in a school-type situation, learning phonics, writing and maths and her day runs from 8am-5pm??? No wonder she's in meltdown! Yes, put her back in day care and let her play all day!

On the sleep though, I would suggest zero tolerance (if you possibly can muster the energy) - being up at 2am is not acceptable. Just keep on taking her back to her bed, no chat, no negotiation. Again and again and again. The first few nights you do this will be hellish so you have to steel yourself to do it and see it through no matter what.

TheOriginalFAB Sun 23-Oct-11 13:06:46

I don't understand that children basically go to school at 3 in Canada. Why?

Octaviapink Sun 23-Oct-11 13:18:32

Yep - 3 is too young and your daughter is letting you know in no uncertain terms! Take her back to daycare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now