Talk

Advanced search

I haven't experienced this before, not sure if this is normal or not??

(8 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sun 18-Sep-11 19:49:04

DS is 19 months and isn't yet talking, babbling, but no words, he is very quiet, noticably quiet until.....

(the highest pitch you can imagine) Shreeeeeeeeek!!

It is so loud, people wince! He tends to do it most when he is excited, supermarkets are a classic. During the day at home it is every 15 minutes. Its getting a bit much!

Any thoughts??

Pippinintherain Sun 18-Sep-11 20:08:42

Totally normal.

It's a great noise to him and he'll love doing it.

Very taxing for you though!

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sun 18-Sep-11 20:11:00

Really?? I am starting to think it might be baby Tourettes?

Pippinintherain Sun 18-Sep-11 20:12:58

I seem to remember both mine doing it. They stopped eventually, I tended to ignore it as giving a reaction seemed to make them do it more.

grin at baby tourettes.

GingerLa Sun 18-Sep-11 20:15:31

My little boy is 20 months and does talk although I know its normal for them to just babble too and he shreaks in a similar fashion to what you describe above...
Started doin it a few weeks ago, think e gets attention from others for doin it.. but we have def noticed it and how annoyin it is!!

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Sun 18-Sep-11 20:39:05

The shreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek is follwed by a sssssssssssssssssss especially when playing with the train set.......maybe it's the whistle and the steam???!! I wouldn't mind but I think I have holes in my ear drums and so do half of tesco!

scootergal Mon 19-Sep-11 08:25:11

(grin) at baby tourettes ... if so mine had this too - does it help that my 4 yr old has it still.. though the repitoire has increased to include 'whaaaaaaayyyyy' and 'whoooooooooo' and 'kaboooommmmm'
'BLAST OFF' (thanks buzz lightyear) 'nerrrrmmmmmm' (cars) eeeeeeerrrrrrkkk (fake braking noise on scooter)
All his 4 yr old friends are like it ..... sound effects to every day life ha ha.....
Lots of normal vocab though!
Sounds pretty normal! if you re concerned re speech get hearing checked though

Chundle Mon 19-Sep-11 09:37:10

Haha I had to laugh at baby tourettes! My 2 year old still does this shriek! The last time was in tesco and the checkout lady wasn't best pleased!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now