Talk

Advanced search

How to get 2.4 yo DD to stop and listen (eg when outside running around, dangerous)

(7 Posts)
miamama09 Mon 22-Aug-11 09:29:23

My DD is going through phase where nothing I say makes her stop and listen. When I am talking to her about something she says she is listening, but is always distracted.

My main worry is when we are out somewhere, and she runs off, nothing I say will make her stop and wait for me. I've tried shouting her name sternly, shouting 'STOP'... is there another way?

Yesterday we were walking back from the park, not next to a main road, but not far off, and she just started legging it. I am pg with DC2 so can't run fast enough after her, I was shouting at her to stop but she kept going until she got to where she wanted to go (a park bench!)

ragged Mon 22-Aug-11 09:30:39

REINS

Pamplemoussse Mon 22-Aug-11 09:31:32

reins

pozzled Mon 22-Aug-11 09:33:35

Yes, you need reins until you can trust her to stop.

In the meantime, practise- walk down the street together (eith her on reins or holding hands) and suddenly shout 'stop'. Lots of praise for doing it correctly. Sometimes let her say stop to you as well.

miamama09 Mon 22-Aug-11 09:38:59

Thanks for the answers. We used to use reins when she was younger, so will have to bring them out again now and have a chat with her about stopping when I say so.
Thanks all!

dribbleface Mon 22-Aug-11 13:53:16

i kept a wrist strap in my bag to threaten DS with, worked a treat only needed to use it once.

Now days he knows he can go ahead but has to stop when i tell him, even a step further (slight exageration!) and back to holdinh hands, Is generally very good.

glub Sat 27-Aug-11 16:56:27

yes the threat of reins is also a good one lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now