Talk

Advanced search

How did you teach your DD to wipe them bottom...effectively?! And at what age?

(8 Posts)
SenoritaViva Thu 04-Aug-11 18:11:46

Well that's it really, it's just that physically it's quite difficult for her to reach. She's 4 but she's small and her arms just don't seem to get there very well.

How do you get them to remember to wipe from front to back?

And how old were your children when they were wiping themselves?

Any other tips gratefully received!

TIA

SenoritaViva Thu 04-Aug-11 18:12:25

them bottom? What am I thinking. It's been a long day...

strandednomore Thu 04-Aug-11 18:17:13

Trial and error I think! Dd1 started doing it on her own when she was about 4 and seems pretty effective now at nearly 6. Dd2 (3) started doing it but has got very lazy recently and expects me to do it all for her.
If she's willing to have a go I would let her do it and then perhaps do the last wipe to make sure it's clean. When you are happy she's (more or less) there just leave her to it.
We used wipes while she was learning. Now she just uses normal toilet paper.

ragged Thu 04-Aug-11 20:45:05

Just doing it again & again, saying same things again & again.... DC1-2-3 were so resistant, such a pain in the proverbial, I didn't make them learn until summer before they started school. Now I have bitten the bullet and let DC4 get on with it much younger, not least because he hated my technique(!) & wanted to do his own. Plenty of minging disasters to start, but he's not quite 3.5yo and nearly got it, now. He needs to, really, has full days at nursery in September.

mycatsaysach Thu 04-Aug-11 20:49:03

um don't want to be flamed but i don't ever remember doing this with dd at all - she was v independent and wanted to do it herself so did.

vanimal Thu 04-Aug-11 20:58:06

I am having the same problem with my DD, she is 4. But if I wipe her bum after she's had a go, she stops doing it and asks me to clean it for her everytime 'because mummy you do it properly'. So she then stops learning to do it herself.

I am just perservering, she'll get it eventually or I'll clean it till she's 18.

SenoritaViva Thu 04-Aug-11 21:41:55

Great, I thought that I was leaving it too late. DD is 4 and pretty insistent I do it. Thought the summer holidays would be a good time to teach her before she starts reception, which will help her but nevertheless I want her to be independent before the next one arrives!

fivegomadindorset Thu 04-Aug-11 21:43:38

DD is 5.5 and refuses to do it but she has a whole host of ishoos when it comes to toiletting. DS (3) bless him just does it himself, I check but he is pretty much spot on, I think he just watches what we do and has cottoned on. He is very petite too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now