Talk

Advanced search

Appropriate punishment for naughty DD (4.5)

(6 Posts)
bringinghomethebacon Sun 31-Jul-11 23:05:57

DH put DD to bed tonight. She messed about in her bedroom before going to sleep. She has some lovely wall stickers and an alphabet freeze in big letters. She knows she is not allowed to peel these off (she has tried to peel some of the smaller pictures off before). She has taken the whole alphabet off her wall, I am really cross as they were expensive and lovely looking and are ruined now (she has torn them taking them off). I was asleep when DH discovered this so I haven't been able to tell her off immediately. DH obviously told her off but I think she should have a punishment as well and I don't think she is too young to punish in the morning (i.e. not immediately), but what should the punishment be? I was thinking no telly or Cbeebies computer games all day (shooting myself in the foot here). Unfortunately she also has chicken pox so we have been a bit reliant on these the last few days!

I dunno. She's poorly, she's probably fed up, and, being only very little, will probably have forgotten about it sufficiently that she possibly wouldn't connect a punishment with the original misdeed anyway. I'd probably leave it at the telling-off, tbh.

bringinghomethebacon Mon 01-Aug-11 00:05:30

She has been fine today with the pox, she's had it very mildly. Maybe I will leave it at a discussion about why she was naughty in the morning and how sad I am that her lovely stickers will have to go in the bin. No cbeebies while we are still in quarantine is just punishing myself!

BertieBotts Mon 01-Aug-11 00:23:45

I doubt she did it to be naughty, it was probably more of an experiment/impulse thing, even if she's been told not to do it before. Peeling things off can be really compulsive, I can barely restrict myself from picking at edges! (And, um, regularly don't blush) She probably won't have understood that by peeling them off they won't be able to be fixed.

I think showing her that the stickers are now ruined and will have to go in the bin will be enough to stop her repeating it.

MadamDeathstare Mon 01-Aug-11 02:23:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bringinghomethebacon Mon 01-Aug-11 11:43:16

Thanks all - you are right punishment is probably not appropriate. I had a sad talk with her today showing her lovely stickers were ruined and going in the bin. She said "we don't need them any more though do we mummy" but she didn't sound very convinced. She said sorry and did look sad so I have left it at that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now