Talk

Advanced search

DS can't tell yellow and green apart

(5 Posts)
ragged Wed 29-Jun-11 20:11:10

3.5yo, He's okay with other colours, just totally can't seem to see the difference between yellow & green. There is not supposed to be a form of colour blindness that would cause this consistent confusion... or is there?

ragged Thu 30-Jun-11 09:38:28

AuntieMonica Thu 30-Jun-11 09:46:07

your local optician will be able to help you on this one, and i would say take him sooner rather than later, so you can be aware and help him recognise things in a different way.

there are 'magic eye' type dot pictures they use with littlies to help diagnose colour blindness, and which colours affect your DC.

DS1 wasn't diagnosed with colour blindness until he was 7yrs old - made for some odd art-work i can tell you confused

LifeOfKate Thu 30-Jun-11 11:41:51

Red-Green colour blindness can cover yellow and green. My Dad had RG colour blindness and has trouble with reds, browns, greens, yellows and greys.

I second AuntieMonica's advice to take him to an optician or to your GP/HV, although I have heard that they are reluctant to diagnose anything until the child is a bit older and more 'reliable' with their colours.

FWIW, my Dad doesn't feel in the least bit disadvantaged, apart from when my stepmum sends him back upstairs after he has got dressed and picked a strange colour combination!

ragged Thu 30-Jun-11 12:06:54

That's interesting, I don't think I would want to try optician until he's nearly school starting age -- he's just too young for now (doesn't have language skills for a start). He seems fine with red-blue, I've known & worked with RB colour blind people, so DS seems atypical of how they were.

But I deffinitely won't rule RB out, for now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: