Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hair washing nightmare HELP!!!!!

(8 Posts)
sausagebear Tue 21-Jun-11 20:49:51

Hi.

My ds is 3.5 and has always loved baths. He's always been fine having his hair washed too! 2 weeks ago, he just went completely mad when I washed his hair, for no apparent reason and has done this ever since!! I have started a reward chart, but even that isn't helping. Tonight I had to literally wrestle him into the bath as he was trying to climb out when I got the jug thing to start his hair wash. He screamed and thrashed around the whole time, and I feel awful now! I just don't know what to do! I only wash his hair twice a week, and he's always been fine, putting his head back and closing his eyes! He has swimming lessons each week, and loves the water, so just can't understand what's going on!!

Please help with any tips you may have - just don't want to have to go through what I've been through tonight again!!!

StayFrosty Tue 21-Jun-11 20:55:19

Aaarrrgh, we sometimes have this - sometimes dd is fine, sometimes it's a nightmare. Tonight she was great actually, she went in the shower and i got her to wet her own hair and rub her own shampoo in. For the final rinse she has a miffy flannel she holds over her eyes, and i'll say 'just five/ten seconds dd, you can count them for me' and this seems to keep her calm.

Roo83 Tue 21-Jun-11 20:59:47

My ds used to swim underwater and be happy to shower/wash hair without problems-all of a sudden he got a 'thing' about having water in his eyes. We got him some goggles and hey presto, problem solved! It is a bit tricky washing his hair with the goggles on, but a lot easier than the struggles we were having

girliefriend Tue 21-Jun-11 21:05:48

yes been there and have the wet t.shirt to show for it!!!

My advice is have set nights for hair washing (in our house thats wed and sun!!) if poss get him to wash his hair after swimming so you don't have to worry about it once you get home!!

Let him do as much as poss himself, it actually helped for me to stand outside the bathroom while she got her hair wet and rubbed the shampoo in, I would then come in and help rinse!!! I also used to let her have a small treat if she washed her hair with minimal fuss, having said all that I still sometimes have a nightmare with my dd and she is now 5yrs!!

dustyhousewithdustypeople Tue 21-Jun-11 21:07:48

Goggles worked for us.

josette Tue 21-Jun-11 21:21:43

I had this with my 3 year old ds. He never enjoyed having his hair washed, but a couple of months ago, it turned into an almightly battle.
We tried goggles, which did work a little. Then tried this: a Clippasafe Shampoo-Shield off Amazon. I didn't think it would work, but touch wood, so far, it has made hair washing a calmer experience. He still doesn't enjoy it massively, but it does keep all the water and shampoo out of his face. He now lets me wash his hair 3 times a week.

olivo Wed 22-Jun-11 11:29:10

Try one of the jugs that have a soft rubber bit at the front - after 4l ong years of nightmare hair washing, we got one and they are fab! you kind of push the rubber bit against the forehead and it forms a seal. we got ours from jojomamanbebe.

sausagebear Wed 22-Jun-11 13:44:41

Thanks so much everyone - this has really helped!! Olivo, I have one of those jugs already and have always used this for hair washing! Josette, I will get one of the shields and give it a go, and then try goggles if this doesn't work! We do have set nights for hairwashing, and may try washing his hair after his swimming lesson!
Thanks again
xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now