Talk

Advanced search

Is Isis Common?

(45 Posts)
tableau Mon 12-Oct-09 21:46:59

In both senses of the word. Some might say chav, whatever that means.
Dp has suggested this for a middle name if baby is a girl.
Is it a bit naff?

suwoo Mon 12-Oct-09 21:51:45

Its a bit drag queen. OK middle name though I suppose.

reservejudgement Mon 12-Oct-09 22:12:30

Sorry but I think breast pump!

Hulababy Mon 12-Oct-09 22:14:26

Never come across anyone with the name - so not common round here in the popular/over used sense.

LynetteScavo Mon 12-Oct-09 22:15:30

Didn't M&S do a perfume a few yeas ago called Isis>

Never known of a person called Isis.

SpinDottoressa Mon 12-Oct-09 22:16:30

Isn't it the Independent Schools Information Service?

beanieb Mon 12-Oct-09 22:17:36

Love it mostly because of the Bob Dylan connection. Always have.

crankytwaaaaaahhhhnky Mon 12-Oct-09 22:19:00

Not in my experience.

I know of one who lives on a council estate, but parents are certainly not "common" or "chavvy" iyswim. Alternative, maybe.

LOve the name.

Bondwife Tue 13-Oct-09 10:33:13

In Egyptian mythology Isis was the goddess of the sky and nature - I like it, a nature name without being too flowery

Kayzr Tue 13-Oct-09 10:34:00

I really like it.

Fennel Tue 13-Oct-09 10:35:40

I like it, I know of one little Isis.

It's a river in Oxford and a student magazine.

Washersaurus Tue 13-Oct-09 10:51:37

I only know one, pretty name but does make me think breast pump.

CristinaTheAstonishing Tue 13-Oct-09 10:58:49

Never heard it in a child. Would you pr. it Ee-sees or Eye-sees (first one, I think). I like it but I'd probably check out the mythology first.

BarakObamasTransitVan Tue 13-Oct-09 11:42:12

Eye-sis.

I like the classics connotations. I'd want to know what people who went to Oxford thought of it though, in case dd went there and her name was the equivelent of Thames. Or Severn.

Actually I like it a lot. Sticking it onn me list...

BarakObamasTransitVan Tue 13-Oct-09 11:44:29

equivalent*
*on*
*my

Gah!

Actually if you're thinking of it as a middle name then go for it.

belgo Tue 13-Oct-09 11:44:55

I know twin girls Aster and Isis, pronounced EEEsis. Quite nice.

Pyrocanthus Tue 13-Oct-09 11:52:50

Isis is the Thames, Barak. It's called the Isis while it's running through Oxford.

BarakObamasTransitVan Tue 13-Oct-09 12:16:46

Pyro - how is it pronounced in Oxford? Is is eee-is (which seems to me how it should be pronounced) or eye-sis (which sounds lovely, imo). Or is it pronounced in an entirely different way (a la "maudlin") in order to confuse plebs like me? grin

Fennel Tue 13-Oct-09 12:18:37

eye-sis in Oxford.

Pyrocanthus Tue 13-Oct-09 12:21:52

grin

I think it's considered confusing enough to rename a famous river. The river Cherwell is pronounced Charwell though, so your instincts are sound.

It's Eye-sis. I think that would be the anglicized pronunciation; I would have thought that it might have been EE-sis in ancient Egypt (not that I speak ancient Egyptian).

Fennel Tue 13-Oct-09 14:13:12

lol, so you could get stuck in educational oneupmanship, will you go with the Oxonian pronunciation or trump it with the arguably more authentic ancient Egypitian?

I still like the name.

Pyrocanthus Tue 13-Oct-09 14:15:52

Or 'Philip', as I believe it's pronounced in Cambridge.

smile

eastendmummy Tue 13-Oct-09 14:16:46

It was the name of a horrendous night club in my home town so it has that connotation in my mind but it is a nice name - how's that for sitting on the fence?

HolidaysQueen Tue 13-Oct-09 15:00:49

I like it - sounds lovely (I say it eye-sis) and Egyptian meaning is lovely too - but there was a pre-op transgender model on ANTM called this and that has tainted it for me - not because she was transgender as such but just because she is the only person I have ever head of with that name and when naming my DD, I don't want to be thinking of her, or ANTM, or Tyra (although I will quite happily think about Nigel Barker whenever the fancy takes me)

BarakObamasTransitVan Tue 13-Oct-09 15:05:42

OK so if I have a dd and name her Isis, she won't be able to go to Oxbridge for fear of ridicule. This may well save on fees (assuming Scumbag Poly would be cheaper) but limits her educational options unfairly imo. I think I'll stick to Percyphone. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now