Talk

Advanced search

So what do you think of the name.....

(24 Posts)
PolarMummy Fri 04-Sep-09 22:15:48

Rory?

DH loves this name but I am not sure about it, what is the Mumsnet opinion?

Sparkletastic Fri 04-Sep-09 22:17:09

Love it - had a good friend at school called that - but is there a kiddy programme called Rory the Racing Car or somesuch?!

listenglisten Fri 04-Sep-09 22:17:36

I know a 10 year old called Rory. I quite like the name.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Fri 04-Sep-09 22:18:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cece Fri 04-Sep-09 22:19:11

Very nice.

Karam Fri 04-Sep-09 22:29:15

Sorry, but to me it is a naughty boys name.

BexieID Fri 04-Sep-09 22:33:41

I was thinking of Roary if DC2 is a boy. But then i'd have a Thomas (the tank engine) and a Roary the racing car, so probably won't.

Tortington Fri 04-Sep-09 22:34:14

fine

nevergoogledragonbutter Fri 04-Sep-09 22:34:18

i like

maryz Fri 04-Sep-09 23:02:06

I like it - Irish version is Ruari, which I love. I was put off it by a friend who couldn't say his r's properly.

Woawy just doesn't sound right from a 6'2 rugby player! But if you can say it properly go for it.

nevergoogledragonbutter Fri 04-Sep-09 23:06:39

Ruari is lovely too.
Rhuaridh is tempting but a fucker to spell.

maryz Fri 04-Sep-09 23:17:22

Don't add the dh at the end. It may be gaelically (sp??) correct, but I agree a fucker to spell. Add a fada to the i instead - my computer won't do it.

thesecondcoming Fri 04-Sep-09 23:20:49

mathanxiety Sat 05-Sep-09 00:30:15

That's Ruaidhri, shortened in modern Irish spelling to Ruairi, as the dh sound is pretty much silent. Rory is all boy to me, I can't imagine a Rory not making the first team, wearing thick glasses -- I see Rory as a rugby playing, freckled type. It's sometimes a girl's name in the US <gagging emoticon>>

shonaspurtle Sat 05-Sep-09 00:33:27

I love it.

PolarMummy Sat 05-Sep-09 03:00:48

Thank you for all your posts and comments, esp yours mathanxiety (your not my husband in disguise are you?) I don't really see Rory as a strong name more a genteel name and this has been what has stopped me really liking it so its interesting to find out that others do find it strong.

The child not being able to say Rs properly has crossed my mind as well, but I guess if this turns out to be the case we could always change and use their middle name.

dizzydixies Sat 05-Sep-09 08:34:13

very popular up here in Scotland if that bothers you at all but its a GREAT name smile

and imo Ruaidhri and Ruairi are not pn RORY but pn ROO-REE so completely different names

belgo Sat 05-Sep-09 08:36:57

Impossible for me to say correctly.

If your ds grows up with a speech impediment, make sure he gets the best speech therapy. Or change his name to Colin.

bellissima Sat 05-Sep-09 08:39:26

Like it. Sounds nice, works in different environments, conjures up image of sound, handsome fellow somehow.

MightyShitey Sat 05-Sep-09 08:54:26

I have one! He is 9.

I was a bit hmm like you are. DH wanted it because to him it's a tough Irish name. To me it's a posh English name which is why I was unsure.

As for the R pronunciation thing, that's a risk you run with a lot of names. Jonathan Ross and Roy Jenkins spring to mind.

I have also noticed, with faint distress, that Rory is becoming a girl's name in the US. If I was naming him now that would be my biggest worry, although we are ... howyousay?... Americaphobes, and unlikely ever to go there.

He hates being called Roary the racing car. But we know loads of Thomases, Henrys etc.

PolarMummy Sat 05-Sep-09 16:39:49

Dizzy I agree with you on the pn of Ruairi (Roo-Ree) and I do prefer Rory, as I am from NI and not Scotland it doesn't really bother me that it is popular in Scotland It doesn't seem to very popular here but I think its the type of name that it wouldn't bother me if I met another Rory. To me its unusual because it isn't used very often rather than being different if this makes sense.

Thanks again for your replies, think if we have a DS (due in a week) he will be called Rory

hanaflowerhatestheDM Sat 05-Sep-09 17:26:23

bluebump Sat 05-Sep-09 18:10:28

I love it, it's my new favourite boys name.

nappyaddict Sat 05-Sep-09 18:17:02

Love it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now