Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on Bleddyn?

(117 Posts)
Bellatrixandstrange Wed 12-Apr-17 06:25:59

Dh and I love Bleddyn for our son but we live in England and are worried that he'll spend his life explaining how it's pronounced/ spelt. Is it an OK name for a boy living in England?

neuuushoooos Wed 12-Apr-17 06:32:04

How's it pronounced? I don't think I'm keen, tbh., it doesn't sound nice and potentially would shorten to 'Bled'...?

That said, my policy is generally to go for it if you like it. Life's too shot to second guess other people.

You could name him James or Thomas or Peter and in 10 years there could be a mass murderer or a terrible pop star with that name and your surname; so you can't ever totally futureproof with a name.

bigchris Wed 12-Apr-17 06:33:31

I honestly don't think it's very nice

LosingDory Wed 12-Apr-17 06:34:12

Uh...isn't there a nicer name you both like? This doesn't really work in England I don't think

Bellatrixandstrange Wed 12-Apr-17 06:35:40

Thank you it's pronounced Blethin and yes would probably get shortened to Bleth / Bledd. It's so hard, the only name we both think suits him and if we were back in Wales I would do it in a heartbeat but I don't want to saddle him with a name he'll hate!

EverythingEverywhere1234 Wed 12-Apr-17 06:43:40

I'm sorry but I think it's horrible written down and will be pronounced wrong. Also doesn't help that I'm in Devon, where 'bleddy' is usd in place of 'bloody'

Bellatrixandstrange Wed 12-Apr-17 06:45:16

That's pretty resounding then! Back to the drawing board.

Chickydoo Wed 12-Apr-17 06:55:36

Bleedin awful.....sorry

RedSandYellowSand Wed 12-Apr-17 06:58:00

The pronunciation is fine. It's just the way it reads to people who don't know it. How do you feel about the anglicised (i assume) Blethin?

HeyCat Wed 12-Apr-17 06:58:46

Sorry, it would be thought of as @bloody" or "bleeding" here.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Wed 12-Apr-17 07:06:25

Doesn't it mean Wolf? I live in a Welsh-speaking part of Wales and I've only ever met one Bleddyn. It's a nice enough name but far from my favourite.

I would pronounce it Blethin with a th like in mother. The whole thing might make English-speakers' heads explode! Go ahead if you like it though OP. It could also make a very interesting middle name.

Bellatrixandstrange Wed 12-Apr-17 07:09:49

Yes little wolf and historic Welsh royalty, half brother of Gruffydd. It's the most easily pronounced on our shortlist so we're definitely going to have to start all over again!

DilysPrice Wed 12-Apr-17 07:13:11

I'm an ethnically Welsh English speaker who's given my DC hardcore Welsh names and even I think that's a bit of a stretch. I'd naturally pronounce it Blethin like Elvira so that's fine, but it just doesn't look nice. Is there honestly no other Welsh boys name you like? You could have it as a middle name.

DilysPrice Wed 12-Apr-17 07:15:35

What else is on the shortlist? People will get used to difficult to pronounce names.

Llareggub Wed 12-Apr-17 07:16:31

I met a very lovely 20 something Bleddyn yesterday. i know a couple of little Bleddyns too. I like it.

SuperBeagle Wed 12-Apr-17 07:17:52

It's very bloody sounding.

Bellatrixandstrange Wed 12-Apr-17 07:18:59

Llewellyn and Myrddin were the others! So you see even harder for him to explain.

SuperBeagle Wed 12-Apr-17 07:19:19

Oop, I see it's not pronounced with a d. I can see this one being butchered by people like me!

SuperBeagle Wed 12-Apr-17 07:19:48

I know how to pronounce Llewellyn though. I think that ones more known than the others.

BelafonteRavenclaw Wed 12-Apr-17 07:20:00

My boys have very Welsh names. We live on the border and I'm English. My family and friends have learnt how to say them and it's never been a problem.

JennyOnAPlate Wed 12-Apr-17 07:22:58

What about Gethin? I'm Welsh so no issues with spelling or pronounciation, but in England no one would have a clue. My dc have Welsh middle names for that reason.

disastrouslee Wed 12-Apr-17 07:23:20

I love it but I'm Welsh.

Taliesin shortened to Two?

DilysPrice Wed 12-Apr-17 07:23:43

I'd go for Llewellyn and put up with people murdering it - they'll know roughly what to say and it's a lovely name. Myrddin is a little trickier but I think it's a nicer name than Bleddin.

disastrouslee Wed 12-Apr-17 07:23:53

Grr autocorrect- shortened to Tal

Emphasise Wed 12-Apr-17 07:25:04

Would it be awful to spell it Blethin?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now