Talk

Advanced search

Can I have a Catherine Kateson?

(12 Posts)
Dajik Fri 31-Mar-17 20:28:20

It isn't Kateson but it's very similar in the sense that our surname includes another one of Catherine's NNs.

DevineByName Fri 31-Mar-17 20:30:20

It sounds very like Cath Kidson. That would put me off.

Dajik Fri 31-Mar-17 20:32:26

Devine our surname isn't Kateson and doesn't rhyme so no issue with Cath Kidston smile but just wondering about it having a NN in surname as ours does.

DevineByName Fri 31-Mar-17 20:34:32

Sorry, with baby brain I have no idea what you are asking!

the name isn't Catherine? Because I can only think of Kitty/Kit/Kate for Catherine.

DanDanDanDanDan Fri 31-Mar-17 20:36:15

I think it's cute.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Fri 31-Mar-17 20:39:39

Of course you can. 😄

Rockaby Fri 31-Mar-17 22:02:42

It's hard to say not knowing what the actual surname is, though I understand if it's an unusual surname and you don't want to publish who you are on MN!

If the surname has one of the same sounds in it as Catherine does, then it might be weird; Catherine Kathington, for example, sounds odd to me, but Catherine Kittington is completely fine.

(Sorry for the made up surnames)!

Popskipiekin Fri 31-Mar-17 22:11:14

Hmm I'm not sure. Say if it was Catherine Kitson - that looks and sounds fine actually, because I'm not sure people would ever go "oh Kit - Kitty - that's short for Catherine!"
But Kateson (your example, I know not the actual name) contains the entire NN for Catherine and is much more obvious.
Pretty sure people wouldn't be recommending you call a boy Edward Teddington or Robert Bobson. It's sort of one step removed from Magnus Magnusson isn't it?

buttercup54321 Fri 31-Mar-17 22:46:11

Catherine Cookson! Kate is a nn for Catherine anyway.

Dajik Fri 31-Mar-17 22:47:22

Yeah I can't put surname on here as it's extremely unusual but the beginning is Kitty, but the ending isn't son it's like another word.

NataliaOsipova Fri 31-Mar-17 22:49:29

I think it's fine as long as you're not planning to use Kit or Kitty as a diminutive.

ClaryBeanHorshAndMe Fri 31-Mar-17 22:50:37

So, for example: Catherine Kittysaver?
Yes, definitely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now