Talk

Advanced search

Faye

(26 Posts)
Gretall Sat 21-Jan-17 22:15:54

This is probably stupid but I'm having a real name wobble and my daughter is 2 and a half!! We chose the name Faye but TBH it was slightly more my oh's choice. I feel like I've grown into myself and my style these last couple of years which also has made me have very different taste in names. I really like old fashioned names and I just don't love the name faye as awful as that sounds. It feels way too late to change it now but I was thinking of giving her a nickname or something. Am I being stupid??! Honesty is allowed

Chocolatecake12 Sat 21-Jan-17 22:34:39

I love it! It's a beautiful name. So pretty but strong too.

ThomasHardyPerennial Sat 21-Jan-17 22:45:53

I love it too! It's a great name smile.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Sat 21-Jan-17 23:05:56

It's a nice name OP, it's a name that she can grow with, leave things as they are. 😀

Gretall Sat 21-Jan-17 23:11:27

Thanks all, I do appreciate it. I worry she doesn't suit her name as she's a very tall, well built whirlwind and I see the name Faye as quite delicate....hopefully she'll grow into it

ButterflyOfFreedom Sat 21-Jan-17 23:20:33

I've heard of a Faye who gets called Fi Fi.
I think Faye is lovely as it is though (plus I also know one who is tall & has an athletic physique but it's still her name & suits her) smile

indigo13 Sat 21-Jan-17 23:23:25

I felt like this at about the same age but the feeling soon passed and now I love the name we used more than ever!

SingingSilver Sat 21-Jan-17 23:42:05

I don't see the name Faye as delicate. I tend to see names that end in an 'ee' sound as delicate - Maisy, Millie, Daisy, Ellie, Lily, Sophie etc. I see Faye as a strong, cool name. I really like it.

mammmamia Sat 21-Jan-17 23:49:06

I Love it

EmbarrassingBaddie Sun 22-Jan-17 02:44:31

I think of Fayes as being tall and strong and benevolent so it doesn't sound like it necessarily doesn't suit her.

There's no reason you can't introduce a nn if you want though..

Downstairspoo Sun 22-Jan-17 02:46:11

I think it's a strong name too. I love it. Your DD can make her name anyway smile

Pluto30 Sun 22-Jan-17 02:59:20

It's been good enough for Faye Dunaway. grin

It's quite similar to Freya, which is very popular at the moment, so I don't think it's out of place. Just slightly different from the current top names.

I know a little Faith who gets called Fay(e) a lot. It's sweet. Suits her. smile

MitzyLeFrouf Sun 22-Jan-17 03:00:39

She's two and a half so you need to accept that her name isn't going to change. I think there comes a stage where a person just kind of becomes their name and it's no longer a matter of whether you like it or whether they suit it, they just are it.

Personally I like the name Faye, it sounds fresh compared to all those 'vintage' style names you say you like.

Motherfuckers Sun 22-Jan-17 03:18:19

It's lovely. It is quite unusual nowadays and as a pp says, it is loads nicer than all those cutesy, over-popular vintage names.

Mclaren37 Sun 22-Jan-17 05:15:24

Faye seems dated and 70s to me tbh. I know two Faye's in their late 30's and it also make me think of Faye Dunnaway. To be 'fey' also suggests vagueness and uselessness rather than strength. Like you I prefer older, more 'vintage' names. You could certainly use Fifi as a nn if you prefer?

Mclaren37 Sun 22-Jan-17 05:18:16

Ps. Sorry just re-read this and realized your daughter is 2.5. So sorry! Oh well there's an honest opinionblush. Ignore stupid people on the internet! I do quite like Fifi! x

Flippingecktucker Sun 22-Jan-17 06:14:24

It's gorgeous. I might nick it, if you don't mind?

MrsBlennerhassett Sun 22-Jan-17 06:19:31

Fee would be a nice nickname, it means fairy in french.
Or Freja perhaps?
But imo Faye is a strong name. It makes me think of the actress Faye Dunnaway who certainly is a strong glamorous figure.

EmbarrassingBaddie Sun 22-Jan-17 07:23:55

If you really an alternative to use then Fee/Fi is a cute nickname, or Effie?

Imissmyboy Sun 22-Jan-17 07:30:54

I think it's a gorgeous name. Your daughter will grow up to be herself whatever name you give her. She won't change in any way just because you decided at 2.5 to re-name her as 'Melissa'

FrancisCrawford Sun 22-Jan-17 08:10:36

Faye is one of the traditional shortening for Euphemia.
It's a lovely name.

Effie is another abbreviation of Euphemia, but is much more stolid and lumpen and not very attractive. Or it is the way it's pronounced in Scotland. Effie would be pals with Senga.

Gretall Sun 22-Jan-17 09:32:36

Thanks all I do feel better about it now. The name I wanted to swap Faye for was Matilda and I guess a couple of you are right in saying its a lot more popular than Faye these days. Flippingecktucker go for it smile

Gretall Sun 22-Jan-17 09:34:31

Oh and also thanks for the effie suggestions! I've forgotten about that name and do like it

Elbi Sun 22-Jan-17 11:21:32

Matilda would quickly become Tilly which is pretty cutesy itself smile Faye is great but if it bothers you you could always start calling her 'F' and progress to Effie.

Missyb15 Sun 22-Jan-17 20:40:47

i think faye is a pretty old fashioned and cool name smile matilda would probably be shortened to tilly which isn't half as nice as faye imo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now