Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Name coincidence or too creepy

(37 Posts)
octonuddle Wed 21-Dec-16 07:01:37

We have a family friend who has 3 daughters, all grown up. When we had DD, DH and I both loved a particular name that happened to be the same name as one of the family friend's daughter. It is a lovely traditional name that is not very common (not in top 100 but very recognisable). They were delighted we picked the same name and made a big fuss of DD.
So, now we are due number 2 - if it is a girl, we love a name which goes beautifully with DD1 name - and you might have guessed...happens to be the same name as one of family friend's other daughter.
Would that just be too much?! Creepy right? It is not deliberate! She just happens to have outstanding taste in names! What would you think if you were family friend?

perfectlybroken Wed 21-Dec-16 07:05:02

I think i would discuss it with her and see what her reaction is. I'm not saying you need her permission but it might be good to explain how you love the name and joke a bit about wether you using it would freak her out. She might be delighted and the you don't have to worry!

Dilligufdarling Wed 21-Dec-16 07:07:36

I agree with pp - have a chat first.
Just going ahead a presenting them with their DDs mark 2 would be a bit creepy!

neonrainbow Wed 21-Dec-16 07:24:41

That is creepy. Theres thousands of names out there, pick another one.

tryingtosleepzzz Wed 21-Dec-16 07:32:08

Definately not! I would find it very odd if a friend chose my children's names!!!

Raines100 Wed 21-Dec-16 07:33:38

Creepy. Sorry, but it would be.

Mombie2016 Wed 21-Dec-16 07:35:06

My DPs friend has two DDs the same as our two DDs - ours are both 6 months older than theirs - they named their DDs the same as ours. DP is super chill and even he finds it really creepy.

ClarissaDarling Wed 21-Dec-16 07:35:44

Overkill I think, is it maybe because you hear it with the other name so much it's gone a bit subliminal??

ChickenPoop Wed 21-Dec-16 07:39:45

Definitely creep territory. Even if they smile and say it's a lovely thing to do again they will definitely be hmm about you behind closed doors.

guiltynetter Wed 21-Dec-16 07:41:30

too much! one maybe, 2...no. think of something else!

fledglingFTB Wed 21-Dec-16 07:48:39

It's not a "coincidence" though, is it? You are aware of their names. They have clearly influenced your choices. if the names go together, that's clearly due to your friends careful selection.. Not serendipity!

Odd. Trust in your own taste. The false pretence would wind me up too.

Staranise123 Wed 21-Dec-16 07:48:52

Creepy and unimaginative!

Stormwhale Wed 21-Dec-16 07:51:54

No sorry, that is just weird.

Nickname1980 Wed 21-Dec-16 07:52:04

Definitely strange! I agree with the previous posters - pick another name!

Pluto30 Wed 21-Dec-16 07:53:32

No, it'd be weird. There are lots of other names to choose from. smile

lovelearning Wed 21-Dec-16 07:56:11

She just happens to have outstanding taste in names!

octonuddle, tell her that.

What would you think if you were family friend?

octonuddle, ask for her opinion.

SatsukiKusakabe Wed 21-Dec-16 08:00:37

There are so many other names, I'd feel really embarrassed choosing exactly the same twice. They reacted well the first time, and that's nice, but don't push it.

Why not ask her to make you some suggestions? There might be some she didn't use that you love.

DollyPlastic Wed 21-Dec-16 08:01:16

Creepy

SausageSoda Wed 21-Dec-16 08:02:35

Doing it once, fine. Doing it twice is odd and very creepy. There are millions of names in the world, surely you can find another that you like?

Lunar1 Wed 21-Dec-16 08:02:46

Really creepy!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 21-Dec-16 08:03:08

Creepy

octonuddle Wed 21-Dec-16 08:05:40

Mumsnet has spoken! Thanks for your comments...we will definitely remove it from the list!

In defence, the family friend is a lady that goes to church with my elderly aunt so we are not exactly close. We didn't know her daughters names when we named our first DD and after she found out she sent a lovely card and gift. The second name we both loved and I thought it was familiar...I asked my aunt and she told me it was her eldest daughters name! So may have been subliminal...either way we wont use it!

Chelazla Wed 21-Dec-16 08:06:01

My friend and I at work both had two kids with the same names and we thought it was quite sweet! Then when she got married came back to work and her new surname... Same as mine! I think it's fine if kids are grown up and they don't mind x

Chelazla Wed 21-Dec-16 08:07:01

I think it crazy not to use it personally!

SatsukiKusakabe Wed 21-Dec-16 08:22:45

Now you've explained the connection...I don't think it would seem creepy as you're not that close and didnt really know her that well when you named your dd.

I'd revise my opinion to look at others as I'd still prefer to find my "own name" but if you can't find something you love I don't think it's as out of the question as it first seemed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now