Talk

Advanced search

If you're having a boy, you need to consider...

(36 Posts)
BiscuitMillionaire Mon 04-Jan-16 22:02:19

Gary
Simon
Paul
Lee
Mark
Colin
Nigel
Stuart
Derek
Adrian
Russel
Kevin
Roger
Geoffrey
Ricky
Ian
Craig
Terry
Ray
Darren
Brian

For the sake of the nation.
see here
grin

HeffalumpTrap Mon 04-Jan-16 22:04:42

My sister desperately tried to persuade me to name my son Colin or Jareth.

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 04-Jan-16 22:07:09

That's odd, because there are lots of Colins but Jareth is quite unusual.

steppemum Mon 04-Jan-16 22:12:14

They will be back.

When I was growing up, the old men/lady names were so horrendously ridiculously old fashioned. No-one could ever imagine anyone naming their kids those names. But they are now back in favour.

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 04-Jan-16 22:14:58

Strangely, Simon, Paul and Mark are all Biblical names so you would imagine wouldn't go out of fashion like, say, Nigel.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 04-Jan-16 22:20:56

I quite like Kevin

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 04-Jan-16 22:22:06

I knew someone who changed his name from Kevin to Sebastian grin

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 04-Jan-16 22:23:15

Ray could be quite cool.

steppemum Mon 04-Jan-16 22:23:16

I think Simon, Paul and Mark will be back quite soon.

and I would imagine Stuart, Ian and Adrian won't stay out of fashion long in eg Scotland.

Less sure about Nigel, Kevin, Roger and Terry!

Rshard Mon 04-Jan-16 22:25:55

I know a baby Mark, his parents are both Russian so not sure where it came from???

cogitosum Mon 04-Jan-16 22:27:19

My ds's Middle name is Colin!

Wishfulmakeupping Mon 04-Jan-16 22:29:12

Dd's baby doll is called Geoffrey it rather suits him.
I met a very 'cool' hipster type mum in my local town with a baby Gordon in tow- I much prefer some of the above names to Gordon.

PinkSquash Mon 04-Jan-16 22:30:26

I could see a real hipster naming their baby Ray or Derek.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 04-Jan-16 22:30:45

Aww. Gordon. That is so cute.

steppemum Mon 04-Jan-16 22:32:11

Mark is a very popular name in Russia right now.

Orthodox Christians use the Bible too, and Mark is Mark in Russian.

My Ukrainian friends have just had a baby and wanted to call him Mark, but couldn't. (some family reason)

Rivercam Mon 04-Jan-16 22:35:51

I know 13 year olds Craig and Ray

DontCallMeBaby Mon 04-Jan-16 22:39:44

They're dads' names, grandads' for some (DH for instance is Mark, and has an uncle Kevin). They won't make a significant comeback until they're grandads' names at least, more like great-grandads.

No Barry I see ... I have a soft spot for Barry after DD kept naming characters Barry. We'd have three children in a story, Emily, Jack and Barry. grin

Gutterflower Mon 04-Jan-16 22:44:30

There's a Kevin my my ds's class, he's 5. Oh how I laughed when he told me, it just seemed so strange these him saying it!

BikeRunSki Mon 04-Jan-16 22:46:54

In 50-60 years time, there will be an article about the demise of Ethan, Edwin, Oliver, Isaac, Thomas and Jack. Names are fairly cyclical I find, and people are often named after their grandparents. A lot of the names on the OP list are names that were popular 40-50 years ago; they'll be back.

InitialsError Mon 04-Jan-16 22:48:02

They'll all be back eventually. Maybe in another 50 years or so they'll all look fresh and exciting.

cece Mon 04-Jan-16 22:49:24

We nearly called DS2 Mark. I also liked Paul at the time.

steppemum Mon 04-Jan-16 22:49:31

I remember reading a Dorothy Sayers book when I was a teen. It was set in about 1920. There was a Norfolk village full of characters called Obadiah, Ezra, Isaiah, Jeremiah etc. There seemed like such funny names!

Now they are back again.

BikeRunSki Mon 04-Jan-16 22:49:32

I bet there's not that many baby girls called Karen, Tracey, Sarah, Helen or Carol either.

MyBootsAreMuddy Mon 04-Jan-16 23:01:57

We have a Brian and Nigel!......but they are semi feral cats that live on our farm along with Alan and Brucegrin. Next time tge cat rescue place call us up with ferals needing relocating I have Colin, Clive, Roger, Glen, Dennis and Larry on the list of possible names.

I met a little boy on the park the other day called Keith he was about 6/7yrs old. I think that name fits in with the list.

I quite like Geoffrey and Simon and could warm to Ray.

CoffeeChocolateWine Mon 04-Jan-16 23:04:14

My next-door neighbours have jut had a baby Mark.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now