Talk

Advanced search

Sasha (for a girl)

(41 Posts)
missboots Mon 21-Dec-15 14:15:45

Hi there. I'm expecting DD2 in a couple of months and have always loved the name Sasha, but suddenly experiencing last minute anxiety over it! DH vetoed it for DD1, but has come round to it just as I'm wobbling. I'm not too worried about the fact that in other European countries it tends to be a boys name - it can go either way here, and having checked last year's baby names on ONS, it's definitely more of a girls name than a boys name in the UK. I think it's such a pretty name but I'm getting really dud responses from friends and family with it! Others I like are Saskia, Amy, Franscesca, Florence and Flora.

mouldycheesefan Mon 21-Dec-15 14:17:49

I really like it. It's uncommon, pretty but not trying too hard.

AuntieStella Mon 21-Dec-15 14:20:47

I would think boy (just like I'd think boy for Charlie or Georgie).

I know 3 in RL and all are boys.

I think Saskia is a lovely name, also Francesca (prefer Chessie to Frankie as a short form).

neolara Mon 21-Dec-15 14:21:48

I had exactly the same. DD2 was always going to be Sasha, and when she was born I had a wobble. It seemed a bit too American. We named her Natasha, Tashie for short.

ICanSeeForMiles Mon 21-Dec-15 14:25:15

My SIL has a dog called Sasha, and I like it, but can't seem to see past it as a dog's name.

Lindy2 Mon 21-Dec-15 14:26:24

I grew up with a girl Sasha. I think it is nice.
I didn't ever hear it as a boys name until I was in my late 20s. I was quite surprised as to me it sounds pretty and feminine.

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 21-Dec-15 14:32:01

My brother was going to be Sasha if he had been a girl! It's a great name. Go for it!
Yes, it's a unisex name, but in a good way, and certainly where I live, it's more of a girls name unless you are from a mainland European country.

RoosterCogburn Mon 21-Dec-15 14:32:07

I only know female Sashas. I think it's a lovely name.

NHKX2 Mon 21-Dec-15 14:43:18

I like it for a girl; I know a few female Sashas and one male Sasja (Swedish).

pinkpopcorn Mon 21-Dec-15 14:46:12

I think girl when hear the name Sasha, only one I know is a Sacha and she is female.

mrsschu Mon 21-Dec-15 14:53:10

I only know one and she's a woman. It's definitely considered a male name in many European countries but in the UK I would expect a Sasha to be female.

ashesandfire Mon 21-Dec-15 17:37:04

I like Sasha for a girl or boy, we had it on our list for a girls name.
I know a Sasha whose full name is Alexandra which could work if you wanted a more 'classic' name?
Love Saskia!

originalmavis Mon 21-Dec-15 17:41:12

We're in London and I know a few Sasha's - all Russian males (Alexanders). I think it does sound like a girls name though. I like it either way.

AmateurDeLaVie Mon 21-Dec-15 18:41:58

It's a beautiful name - but then I am biased as I have a little Alexandra and in Russian Sasha/Sacha (or Sashenka) is a popular nickname for Alexandra. Go for it!

FunkyPeacock Mon 21-Dec-15 18:46:23

Lovely name

All the Sashas I know (UK) are female

TheWildOnes Mon 21-Dec-15 18:46:30

I have a Sasha so obviously i liked it. She is now a teen and i still love it. Its not too unusual and also not too popular.
Saskia is a beautiful name.

CherryPits Mon 21-Dec-15 19:00:34

Sasha or Sascha is not American. Its Russian and short for Alexandra or Alexander.

Its a beautiful name. I would have used it if it hadn't along with our last name, turned into a tongue twister.

GoldPlatedBacon Mon 21-Dec-15 19:49:59

I love Saskia and Francesca - two of my most favourite names. There is a baby girl Sasha at my baby group. They dithered over the unisex issue but decided to go for it anyway.

3luckystars Mon 21-Dec-15 19:56:28

One of my best friends is called Sasha and she is the funniest, coolest, nicest girl ever so of course I love it! I don't know any others, its unusual without being weird. She also has a great job and is really respected, so its a feminine but strong.
Go for it! Its a great name.

Cheesypop Mon 21-Dec-15 21:03:17

This is on our long list as I love it, although am slightly concerned about the unisex thing. I just love the sound of it though and think it is really feminine sounding!

Saskia and Francesca are also gorgeous. Any of the three would be really nice.

Movingonmymind Mon 21-Dec-15 21:07:22

Lovely

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Mon 21-Dec-15 21:33:46

Not a horrible name, but certainly not to my taste. The Sasha I know is lovely

Raxacoricofallapatorius Mon 21-Dec-15 21:40:09

I think of boys. Like calling a girl Derek. However, that's because I only know boy Sashas. In some countries like Germany I think, you are not allowed to call girls Sasha.

DS would have been Sacha had it been my choice. Fab name. For a boy!

IHeartKingThistle Mon 21-Dec-15 21:41:58

I love it and I think it's fine for a girl. Also love Saskia.

quitecrunchy Mon 21-Dec-15 21:47:26

I'd probably spell as Sacha for a girl but probs just because I've only known 1 female with the name and she spells it that way but have met a few male Sashas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now