Talk

Advanced search

Irish name help please!

(8 Posts)
harrietm87 Sat 21-Nov-15 15:15:46

Hello all. We like the name Ailbhe (al-ve) for our future dd. I've also seen the name Ailbe - how is this pronounced? I would have thought al-be (like alba) but internet sources say ol-bay or al-bee and I'm confused!

Puddleducks123 Sat 21-Nov-15 15:30:42

Ailbe is a boys name so if you're having a DD I'd discount it. Ailbhe is lovely and not very popular. Think I've only ever met one (I'm Irish).

harrietm87 Sat 21-Nov-15 16:02:52

Thanks puddleducks. I'm not even pregnant actually - ttc and just thinking about names! My question was how ailbe is pronounced? (though I'm from ni and appreciate our pronunciation can be different from the south)

MaisieDotes Sat 21-Nov-15 16:03:18

Yes, Ailbe is a boy's name. I've never met one though, I've only ever seen it written down.

I would have thought Al-beh but someone from the West or the North of Ireland might say it differently.

MaisieDotes Sat 21-Nov-15 16:03:48

Oops x-posted with you OP!

villainousbroodmare Sat 21-Nov-15 16:20:28

Ailbe is like Alba.
Ailbhe is like Alva.
I don't think an Northern Irish accent would alter the pronunciation really.
Lovely names. smile

Maryz Sat 21-Nov-15 16:26:02

I've never met an Ailbe either. I suspect that a lot of people might think it was a mis-spelled girl's name and be surprised it was attached to a boy.

There is a whole thread on Ailbhe here with lots of name suggestions that you might enjoy.

IoraRua Sat 21-Nov-15 17:09:29

Al-vah would be my pronunciation. I really like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now