Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Jasper?

(14 Posts)
WooLulu Wed 11-Nov-15 07:33:05

I've been pondering a long list while waiting for overdue DS2, finally born yesterday (2 weeks over).

Now he's here I'm not sure he fits my top names (Rowan, Jago) and I'm thinking of Jasper. Is Jasper very public school?

Our surname is one syllable starting with W. It has a couple of 'n's so names such as Rowan, Lorcan, Nathan all sound like a bit of a mouthful.

Also like Wilfred (good timing for after the poet) and like both Wilf and Freddie as nns. Just don't think husband will go for Wilfred.

starsinyourpies Wed 11-Nov-15 08:56:27

Yes but so is Jago. Doesn't mean you shouldn't use them if you like them!

celtictoast Wed 11-Nov-15 09:12:16

If you like Wilfred, do you think your DH would go for Alfred/Alfie?

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 11-Nov-15 11:31:12

Jasper is lovely. And perhaps a bit more wearable than Jago.

Minimaus Wed 11-Nov-15 16:11:45

I like Jasper. But YOU've got to love the name, not us! Congrats btw.

Crazypetlady Wed 11-Nov-15 16:49:03

I love jasper, dp doesn't agree though so ds was called something else,

Sunshine511 Wed 11-Nov-15 16:56:45

Jasper's really cute smile go for it!! And Congratulations smile

Tuiles Wed 11-Nov-15 17:02:05

If it once was posh, it now seems to be 'filtering' down as it were - the latest one I know of comes from a very working class estate in North Wales.

Tuiles Wed 11-Nov-15 17:02:24

I like it very much BTW!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 11-Nov-15 17:06:15

Much prefer Jago

PartyCityGhoul Wed 11-Nov-15 17:07:36

I love Jasper. Don't think of it as particularly public school - I'd put Jago there first

MackerelOfFact Wed 11-Nov-15 17:07:50

Congratulations! I love Wilbur and Casper, which are similar!

IoraRua Wed 11-Nov-15 17:48:20

Jasper is far less public school than Jago.
It was very posh once, not so much anymore.

busybusybusy2015 Thu 12-Nov-15 16:36:45

Ask any man who has played rugby in the past and they will laugh at Jasper. "Oh Sir Jasper do not touch me" is a very commonly-sung, very long, slightly smutty song so it's a tough name to live with and leads to a huge amount of teasing from sports-playing boys. As I said, lots of adult men feel the urge to snigger whenever they hear the name: what a reaction to have to deal with for the whole of your life. Have mercy on the child, don't use any name that occurs in a rugby song!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now