Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Too 'out there'

(23 Posts)
therewearethen Tue 22-Jan-13 19:53:41

DD has a very normal run of the mill kind of name, lots of them about but when I was pregnant I always liked bluebell as a name but DP said no.

I'm due on Thursday and don't have any names lined up yet but do like bluebell or sky.

Do you think these are too 'out there' ESP as we have a very normal surname and DD's name is very normal!?

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 22-Jan-13 19:56:09

Sky (Id go for Skye) is better than Bluebell, but I wouldnt bat an eyelid as someone giving their dd Bluebell as a middle name (but then I do.know a baby who has the middle name 'Lentil')

grin

GoldPlatedNineDoors Tue 22-Jan-13 19:56:30

Whats DD1s name?

seeker Tue 22-Jan-13 19:56:42

Listen to your dp- he is not driven by hormones at the moment...........grin!!!

Piemistress Tue 22-Jan-13 19:57:44

I like Skye but know of three girls with the name, its quite popular round my way

Littlecherublegs Tue 22-Jan-13 21:09:10

I would go for Skye out of the two. Bluebell is too out there for me but I see Skye as a 'proper' name.

Anonymumous Tue 22-Jan-13 21:20:42

As long as you don't use Madonna as the middle name, I think Bluebell is fine! I don't know why it should be considered any more 'out there' than Lily or Rose or Violet. Bluebells are prettier than violets IMO, and Violet always looks like a mis-spelling of Violent to me anyway! smile

bigbluebump Tue 22-Jan-13 22:07:04

I agree actually that a Bluebell is a lovely flower, at least as nice as a Lily, Rose or Violet. Nickname could be Belle.

Sky/Skye sounds a little harsh to my ears and not very feminine.

MrsApplepants Tue 22-Jan-13 22:08:44

I quite like Bluebell, such a gorgeous flower in spring too!

cheesesarnie Tue 22-Jan-13 22:11:02

don't like sky- but because its bit bleurgh and boring. maybe even a pet dogs name - sorry in advance to parents of sky daughters.
do like bluebell.

my dc all have very 'normal' names fwiw.

MrsBungleBear Tue 22-Jan-13 22:11:13

I like both. Bluebell is lovely. My DD's middle name is Skye so I obviously like that too!

amck5700 Tue 22-Jan-13 22:12:07

..so is a snowdrop but I wouldn't use that as a name.

Skye is nice and not too out there if that's a concern.

DuchessFanny Tue 22-Jan-13 22:12:08

My husbands-cousins- daughter is called Ishbell Skye which I love, thought it might be nicer than Bluebell ( makes me think of Geri Halliwell ) ...

Yfronts Wed 23-Jan-13 21:57:57

Belle and you could use the nn bluebell

Don't like, sorry.

Ishbel is gorgeous though.

DoItToJulia Wed 23-Jan-13 22:02:00

I love out there names. My two have fairly out there ones and a friend said to me the other day that she wished she had been more gutsy when naming her kids. She wanted ds1 to have the middle name Danger and regrets not doing it!

I was accused of being hormonal when I found ds1s name, but I loved it then and I love it now. It is a huge no no in MN terms though. Do I care? Not one bit!

MERLYPUSS Wed 23-Jan-13 22:03:44

Bluebell sounds like a burlesque dancer to me (which is neither good nor bad.) My dad's dog is called Skye.
Not helping much am I?

Viviennemary Wed 23-Jan-13 22:04:57

I quite like the sound of Bluebell but wouldn't call a child that. It would be too cruel. Skye isn't to my liking for a child but I've heard a lot worse.

RiaOverTheRainbow Wed 23-Jan-13 22:07:47

Bluebell is too twee for me, sorry, but I love it as a nn for Ishbel.

Queenie68 Wed 23-Jan-13 22:31:09

Love Bluebell. Very tempted to have it as a middle name.

nurseneedshelp Wed 23-Jan-13 22:38:51

Love ishbell

Not sure about bluebell?

Quite like sky though

twinklestar2 Wed 23-Jan-13 23:22:39

I like bluebell! She could be just belle when she's older.

FriggFRIGGisPoorlySick Wed 23-Jan-13 23:28:48

I have a Sky.
DP named her really,I don't find it too 'out there',the opposite in fact,I wish I had pushed for one of my preferred names...there are so many other beautiful underused names...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now