Talk

Advanced search

Annie?

(24 Posts)
CheerfulYank Sat 03-Nov-12 04:28:33

One of the few names DH and I both like is Annie. (I'm only 11 weeks so I don't know if it's a girl yet smile )

I have a real thing about having "proper" names on birth certificates instead of nicknames, so if we go with this I'd like to have a longer or more formal name. I don't want to use Anne because I've got a cousin called that. I was thinking maybe Susannah, which I think is really pretty and would be nice as MIL is Suzanne.

So wdyt of Susannah called Annie? Our only other option is Madeleine, which I do like but I'm not sure is the "one". (Incidentally I am American and live in America, so the Madeleine McCann associations sad would not be apparent to most people.)

echidnakid Sat 03-Nov-12 05:25:35

I'd choose Anna with the nn Annie but Susannah would also work, though you might have to contend with the Sue/Suzie nicknames.

You could also get Annie from:
Annabel/Annabelle
Annabella
Annika
Anneliese
Rosanna
Hannah

Madeleine is a nice name but I prefer Anna/Annie.

VintageRainBoots Sat 03-Nov-12 05:37:26

Let me add to the suggestions:

Annelise / Anne-Lise
Anne-Marie
Anne-Sophie
Annette

BaconDouble Sat 03-Nov-12 12:03:03

We considered Annelle for our dd with the nn Annie.

PandaNot Sat 03-Nov-12 12:08:43

I have an Anna nn Annie.

CheerfulYank Sat 03-Nov-12 12:13:17

I do like Anna but I have an Anne and a Hannah for cousins, so I want to go a bit different. smile

alemci Sat 03-Nov-12 12:18:09

I like Annie, Anna and Anabelle. I agree about shortened names on birth certificates.

To me Anne is a bit like Linda, of a certain time IYSWIM

FannyMinogue Sat 03-Nov-12 12:21:19

Annie is lovely. Suzanne (or Susannah, which is lovely) is a great longer name.

HolyAutumnGoldBatman Sat 03-Nov-12 13:28:25

Annie is really lovely.

I'm not personally a fan of giving a child a name that they will never be called/that their used name has very little resemblance to. I think the link between Susannah and Annie is so weak you might as well call her Sarah or Melanie or Dave nn Annie.

If you must have a longer name I'd go for something that either starts with Ann/Annie or has 'annie' as the last syllable (you could have Melanie actually!)

What about Annie Rose? Then you could get this book for your DS, it such a lovely story it makes me cry.

YuffieKisaragi Sat 03-Nov-12 13:57:46

Annabel would be lovely with Annie as nn. I am totally with you on birth certificate names too.

alemci Sat 03-Nov-12 15:29:20

Alfie makes me cry too Holy just thinking about it.. Used to read it to my DC's years ago and Bontin (the story about the stone I think)

CheerfulYank Sat 03-Nov-12 18:04:03

I love love love LOVE Annie Rose, but my mother's sister is called Rose and she is...well. Unstable, and they don't get on at all. So that's out. I've always liked it and love the Alfie and Annie Rose stories. sad

Holy there would be the possibility of her calling herself Susannah at a later date if she wanted, I suppose. Plus, I like a full name to whip out so they know they're really in trouble. smile

GoldPlatedNineDoors Sat 03-Nov-12 18:12:51

What about Rosanne/Rosanna, nn Annie/Rose etc?

B1ueberryJam Sat 03-Nov-12 20:35:50

The only one I can think of that hasn't been suggested is Melanie. I would go with Annabel or Anneliese though asthey are logical. I think some of the suggestions are too much of a leap. Eg, susannah is just crying out to be susie not annie really. Rosanna would be Rosie. I like a more formal name to fall back on. Opinions massively divided on this one, but i think fashions change.

thegreylady Sat 03-Nov-12 20:39:11

I know an 11 year old Annie who is really lovely. She is Annie on her birth certificate too.

AllDirections Sat 03-Nov-12 20:39:13

Bethany?

Zoonose Sat 03-Nov-12 20:44:17

Anastasia?

Zoonose Sat 03-Nov-12 20:45:54

Or Anya? I quite liked Annie for a DD but had the same problem coming up with a 'long' name.

chickydoo Sat 03-Nov-12 20:47:18

Antonia (Annie for short)

thatsnotmypineapple Sat 03-Nov-12 21:57:39

DD is Annie. It was the only name (male or female) that we actually agreed upon, and fortunately she was a girl. We had exactly the same dilemma on birth certificate names. I know a lot of people don't see the point, and I can't really explain why, but it is important to us.

In the end she was Annabella, which was DH's choice - I wanted Annelise.

TurkeysDontVote4Xmas Sat 03-Nov-12 21:58:50

My daughter is Annabel but we call her Annie, it's lovely, obv.

RubberNeckNibbler Sat 03-Nov-12 21:59:36

Andrea is a nice long form for Annie

NomNomingiaDePlum Sat 03-Nov-12 22:04:41

we have anastasia, and call her annie.

hanahsaunt Sat 03-Nov-12 22:07:52

My Annie is Anna on her birth cert. Both gorgeous names (for a gorgeous girl wink).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now