Talk

Advanced search

suddenly noticing them everywhere?!

(47 Posts)
myjobismum Fri 19-Oct-12 12:39:58

Ok, I cannot give the actual names away as I promised DH I would keep them absolute secret and lots of RL people know I post on Mn under this username so need to be careful - but really the actual names are irrelevant for this question really, I think blush

I am 20 weeks with DC3 have a boy and a girl already and DH and I have found a name for both a boy and a girl which we both love. They come under the well known <as in people will recognise them immediately> but not overused catagory.
The thing is, it seems since making our choices I seem to be seeing both names pop up everywhere on name threads and such like, though am yet to hear of either for a new baby in real life so it must be the beginning of a trend if it is one?

Either they are just more obvious to me because they are on my mind now OR they are going to explode with popularity of a sudden lol - I cannot decide which!

So the question.... I shouldn't let this bother me should I? They are timeless names which will always be recognised and pretty classless too, would work for a refuse collecter as much as a high court judge so that is good too!
If you love a name, would you just use it and think never mind what everyone thinks/says/does as afterall, no-one will every have a unique name without calling them Xyzwch or something, which I suppose could still catch on eventually anyway lol!

Llareggub Fri 19-Oct-12 12:45:27

Just tell us the names. I will tell you if there are 27462 of them in my local area and you can choose another name if that bothers you. You aren't really telling anyone.

BikeRunSki Fri 19-Oct-12 12:48:46

You are only noticing them more, because they now mean something to you. Like the whole of Yorkshire drives a blue Fabia since I got mine. FWIW, my DC both have fairly well used names, but it doesn't both me at all. There is one other boy with DS's name at his nursery (of about 60) and one other girl with DD's name at playgroup (of about 15).

myjobismum Fri 19-Oct-12 12:56:47

Llare - I would love to, but I actually would, I have several RL friends which both post and lurk on MN and I promised my DH <plus I want to keep them a secret in RL too!> I very much doubt there will be that many in the area though hahaha!!!

Bikerunski - I had the exact same thought as you, everytime we get a new car, I realise everyone else has the same one lol, but never notice it beforehand lol! I am sure you are right! At the end of the day though, I think I would still use the name or would regret it confused

Stumbleine Fri 19-Oct-12 13:17:32

I have exactly the same worry about pur chosen girl's name! That and it appearing to be 'faddy'. This is the only misgiving I have at the moment.

Stumbleine Fri 19-Oct-12 13:18:12

our not pur. Stupid phone!

MolotovBomb Fri 19-Oct-12 13:19:40

It's like when you want to get pg, you see about 10x more pg women. You're probably seeing those names because they have new significance.

Don't worry about it!

rachel234 Fri 19-Oct-12 13:43:52

You cannot tell which names become super trendy and dated (e.g. Sharon, Tracy, Wayne) but you could try to avoid any names that are starting their rise up the popularity charts. Depends how much you love the names - if you love them more than any others, stick with them, if not, perhaps have another look at the ONS lists (outside the top 100 or so).

rachel234 Fri 19-Oct-12 13:46:03

In my opinion most names " would work for a refuse collecter as much as a high court judge ". I think we make far too much of an issue of 'class' and names when in fact it is the person who 'makes' his name. Choose a name you love and your dd/ds will make it their own, whatever/whoever they may become.

myjobismum Fri 19-Oct-12 13:51:05

Stumble - awww I am sorry you are having the same problem lol - I wonder if it is the same name wink

Molo - that is what I am hopong, just increased awareness, it just seems to be suggested on every other name thread at the moment, both the boy and girl name confused I accept it is because they are lovely names, but still a little worrying!

Rachel - I am not sure they will become that trendy, one is an old testament name and the other an old victorian name! that is the most I can say - have looked through the top 100 for last year and year before on ONS and cannot see either on there, but that isn't saying they could not suddenly become top ten this year - saying that, it is a risk which is run with any lovely name, surely?! confused

I really really really don't want to be put off these names and I still have until 6th March to go sad

MJandherdog Fri 19-Oct-12 14:04:38

I've never really understood the "we're keeping it a secret" thing...unless you fear people will laugh at the name? In which case your gut instinct should always be followed and you shouldn't go for it!

Another poster has mentioned that when you' re pg you pay so much more attention to babies' names, so you're probably more aware of trends than most other people. Having said this, I am due in Feb and am obsessed with boys's names as I think they're all either boring, too trendy, too feable or too 'naughty'. It's a nightmare isn't it?

myjobismum Fri 19-Oct-12 14:09:03

MJ - yes, total nightmare lol, I hope you find a name soon - would you like some help? there are loads of boys names I love lol! As for the keeping it a secret, it isn't because I think they will laugh, it is simply because I don't want others opinions on whether they like it or not, afterall by telling someone something you are automatically inviting thier opinion on it, so well, to avoid that we have decided it is just easiest to keep quiet lol - once baby is here they won't give an opinion in the same way I don't think, will just accept that is baby's name and so be it!

MJandherdog Fri 19-Oct-12 14:21:33

Very true...

Does your DH think you're over-analysing the whole thing? I know mine does- maybe we are!

Go with your choice...even if it is growing in popularity surely this just means that it's a nice name and that other people like it too?

My dd is Matilda and like you, one of the reasons I fell in love with it was that it was a proper name but certainly not popular. Since having her (she's 4) I know of 8 other Matilda's- two of their parents work in my bloomin' office! Unimaginative little tinkers! I'm also a little bit worried because the meaning of Matilda is 'mighty in battle' and never was there a name more apt, so I'm now concerned that the meaning of the name I choose will dictate my ds's personality...blooming heck I AM DEFINITELY OVER-ANALYSING THINGS!

DontSweatTheSmallStuff Fri 19-Oct-12 14:28:38

When we had ds2 we didn't know any other children with the same name (timeless,classic etc) Since ds2 there seems to be hundreds of them. Still glad we picked it though.

myjobismum Fri 19-Oct-12 15:25:33

MJ - lol, that really made me laugh! I suppose I am slightly over analysing, meaning means a lot to me when chosing a name too, as long as there are not hundreds of them that is fine, saying that though, i haven't come across another Naomi in a similar or younger age range yet and that is DD's <also just turned 4's> name - still love that and nothing would have put me off it, same with DS's name so think I should just not worry about other people's choices and if it is popular so be it, it won't mean I love the name any less long term!

Dontsweatthesmallstuff - I think that is exactly how I would feel, am just so shocked to see both names everywhere so frequently all of a sudden when they seemed barely spoken of at all previously lol!

Chelvis Fri 19-Oct-12 18:20:51

I was exactly the same - I very rarely saw my DD's name until I had her; now it seems to be everywhere. We're trying to decide between a couple for new DD, all names we'd never seen much of before, and they're popping up all over! Typical!

Yika Fri 19-Oct-12 18:28:24

Same happened to me. I thought the name we chose was classic but not wildly popular. The year my DD was born the name leapt into the top 100 and I hear it constantly. There were two others in DD's nursery group of 15 children at one point. Now just two, but to differentiate my DD has become double-barrelled with her middle name for nursery purposes. I still like the name and don't regret it. My advice would be to completely
ignore trends and just pick a name you actually like.

FluffyFish Fri 19-Oct-12 19:38:12

The names I love, including my dd's, pop up loads on here only half the time in posts I've written but are pretty unusual in real life. Think top 200 for dd and fewer than 20 in 2010 according to ons for name for next dc if girl.

SomersetONeil Fri 19-Oct-12 19:45:11

Slightly off-topic, but MJandherdog - one of the most consistent pieces of advice on the Baby Names board is that you don't tell people the names you're considering - espeially the final chosen one - that you keep them/it to yourself.

We didn't tell a soul when expecting either DS or DD and it certainly was not because we thought people might laugh at the names?! DD is named after both our mothers, so absolutely no fear of that - quite the opposite when we finally did announce her name. smile

Very much agree with myjob - the names were our choice for our children and we had absolutely no desire whatsoever for anyone else's opinion, which they would have given if we'd told the names. The number of people that come on here upset because their DM or MIL or friend or other family member has slated their choice is untrue. Keep it to yourself and no-one except the worst type of ignoramus will voice an unkind opinion (because after all, names are subjective and the name that is universlly liked by all does not exist) once the baby is actually named and in your arms.

myjob - I can see your concern, as I have never been one for very, very popular names - simply because they will inevitably date and become very tired and dull. But as long as they're simply well known, it really is probably just that you're tuned into the name and are hearing it more for that reason. smile

jaffacakehips Fri 19-Oct-12 19:56:54

Tell us!!
why didn't you just change your mn name grin

It's like when you're trying to get pregnant, and all you see is pregnant women or new baby everywhere!

jaffacakehips Fri 19-Oct-12 19:59:49

DD has a name which you will of heard off yet it's not popular, however I've seen it mentioned severally 100 times here. So I do worry its going to become the next big thing.

NotMostPeople Fri 19-Oct-12 20:08:53

Dd1 has one of those names that you fear. It was known but you didn't really come across many and the. It became very very popular. She is a teen now but I hear lots of toddlers in supermarkets beeping called it. The question is given that's what happened would I have chosen a different name should I have known this would happen? I can live with it but I would prefer to have a less common name.

myjobismum Fri 19-Oct-12 20:15:55

Lol, I wonder how many of us are actually talking about the same names and just don't know it lol!

Jaffa - I have no idea how to change my name lol!

Thank you everyone else, I feel suitably reassured, I don't think it is going to be the next Jessica or Isabella <though I love love love those names so can see why they are SO popular and if they were my choice I think I would still go with them because they are so pretty> but think they will rise dramatically in the next 12 months - but I love them so much I am reassured enough to stick with them regardless grin

jaffacakehips Sat 20-Oct-12 14:18:00

PM me the name and I'll tell you gringrin

myjobismum Sat 20-Oct-12 17:12:36

have pm'd you Jaffa grin lol!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now