Talk

Advanced search

Emaline

(8 Posts)
anaotchan Tue 16-Oct-12 11:29:37

DH is dead set on calling our future daughter Emaline. The name comes from his favourite song, and the spelling (also from the song) is a rare form of Em(m)eline.

Now I think the name is pretty enough in itself, but I'm concerned about the spelling. Are people going to think we're those weirdo parents who invent "unique" spellings of regular names? Is our daughter going to have to spell her name all her life?

It's tough for me to make up my mind because English is not my first language, so I don't have a great grasp of how names "sound" like to native speakers.

Advice appreciated!!

EarnestDullard Tue 16-Oct-12 11:49:41

As much as I like Ben Folds Five, I think the spelling does look like you've misspelled Emmeline. Sorry. It's also pronounced differently, afaik Emmeline is pronounced Emme-leen, not Emma-line.

anaotchan Tue 16-Oct-12 11:57:29

Thank you! It is as I feared, then.

Also interesting point about the pronunciation, I didn't realize that.

I do like Ben Folds Five too... maybe not quite enough to saddle my child with a misspelt name, though hmm

sonniebonnie Tue 16-Oct-12 15:08:01

Unusual spelling - I think most people would assume Emmeline when they hear it. Lovely name though.

MJandherdog Tue 16-Oct-12 16:58:11

Love Emmeline, not convinced by Emaline.

mrstowers Tue 16-Oct-12 18:34:27

What MJandherdog said!

Devora Tue 16-Oct-12 18:36:09

I'm afraid I do think that people will think you either can't spell or have gone for a 'unique' variant.

anaotchan Mon 29-Oct-12 14:45:58

thanks everyone for the feedback!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now