Talk

Advanced search

Felix....the cat?!

(41 Posts)
VickyU Wed 26-Sep-12 14:11:55

After hours of conversation, DH and I think we have settled on Felix. However, yesterday at the hairdressers (kind of a local place where everyone knows everyone and chats) I made the mistake of saying that we had chosen Felix and a few of the women in there burst into hysterics and said 'the cat!'

Now obviously DH and I have discusse the cat connection, but I guess we thought that it didn't really matter too much. We certainly didn't think there was a risk of bullying because of it. Now I am panicking...! What do you all think? We have had such a hard time deciding on a name because of an outrageously difficult surname and we really thought we had settled it!

BananaBubbles Wed 26-Sep-12 14:13:21

Felix is great.I'd stick with it.

bananaramma Wed 26-Sep-12 14:14:16

I think cat food, sorry.

(but we own a cat and have the tins around...)

Kelerina Wed 26-Sep-12 14:15:39

I like it!

emmyloo2 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:16:00

It's fabulous - stick with it. It's on my list for DC2. People say all sorts of stupid comments. Ignore them.

rachel1970 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:17:35

Lovely name BUT it is also the name of a well known cat food (in the UK anyway).

Beamur Wed 26-Sep-12 14:22:34

I had a guinea pig called Felix.
Despite the cat connection, it's a name that is around so not so unusual, if you like it use it.
But let this be a lesson to you - don't share your ideas on names with people unless you have a thick skin! People are much less likely to ridicule when presented with a baby named 'x' than a bump. Congrats BTW.

rachel1970 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:24:23

Yes, silly schoolboys may well tease 'Felix the cat' or the catfood, but then almost every name has a teasing potential imo. If you love it, go for it.

mummybare Wed 26-Sep-12 14:30:26

I have a pot plant called Felix, so for me it conjures up images of leaves rather than whiskers, but I also happen to think it's a lovely name for a baby. Go for it!

Dogsmom Wed 26-Sep-12 14:46:59

I think cat too, it wouldn't be so bad if it was a brand that was around years ago but it's still very popular and in everyday life as a cat food brand.

persephoneplum Wed 26-Sep-12 14:56:51

My Felix has never been teased about his name - it's quite a normal name at his school with one Felix in every year. We absolutely love the car connotation as we're mad on cats! I don't see why it's a bad thing to associate with Felix the cat?

My Felix is so proud of the cat connection he wants to call this baby Kit or Tabitha smile It's a boy so Kit is definitely on the table.

We've only had two people mention the cartoon character in all his 7.5 years and it wasn't a derogatory thing. It's a fabulous name!

persephoneplum Wed 26-Sep-12 14:57:44

We're in Australia by the way - no cat food here by that name smile

YouMayLogOut Wed 26-Sep-12 15:02:01

Felix is a fab name smile And Felix the cat in the cartoon was great. Not a fan of the female names often associated with cats though.

sittinginthesun Wed 26-Sep-12 15:03:20

Love it. Would be one of my names, if I had another (which I won't). smile

turkeyboots Wed 26-Sep-12 15:05:01

3 Felixs in DD's Y1 class so is popular despite the feline link.

But I always think of Felix the cat!

delilah88 Wed 26-Sep-12 15:09:52

Don't listen to them! You are way more stylish than your hairdresser.

Ham69 Wed 26-Sep-12 18:33:02

I love the name and wanted it for DC2 who turned out to be a DD. So what about the cat food. There are far worse things to share a name with.

newtonupontheheath Wed 26-Sep-12 19:09:30

I love felix.

But I also liked Dexter and Marley..... Which are apparently dogs names hmm

GoByTrain Wed 26-Sep-12 19:50:03

I like it a lot! But (& I only ask since it's on my list) does it have any nn potential aside from 'Fe'?

PicklesThePottyMouthedParrot Wed 26-Sep-12 19:54:37

Nice! Friend has one no mention of cat food. I'd use it..

KitchenandJumble Wed 26-Sep-12 20:29:35

Well, I admit that is one of my first associations with the name as well. But it's a great name. I would consider using it myself if it didn't clash with DH's surname.

SeventhEverything Wed 26-Sep-12 20:32:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

misscomanche Wed 26-Sep-12 21:00:42

Love it, its's on my short list. Even if anyone thinks of the cat at first, the association will wear off.

I have one. It is getting v popular. I wanted him to be Felix Arthur but drew the line at two brands of cat food. His actual name combination was much derided on MN anyway.

squoosh Wed 26-Sep-12 21:08:32

Hmmm, I automatically think The Cat when I hear the name. Cartoon and cat food brand have made it very feline.

I wouldn't say it out loud, but I'd definitely think it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now