Talk

Advanced search

Would you use a similar name to a close relatives?

(4 Posts)
mumnosbest Fri 23-Sep-11 18:38:37

One of my favourite boys names is very similar to my brothers, as in Anna and Anne or Emma and Emily. Apart from maybe being a little confusing, he's not the most popular family member (lots of fallings out). Would you still use your favourite name if it was very close to someone elses? The names are slightly different but I worry people might associate them.

GwendolineMaryLacey Fri 23-Sep-11 18:41:49

Most people probably would, I wouldn't. We had this with DD's name. We loved a name but have a cousin of the same name. My mother got very upset and I backed off. We called DD something else with the offending name as a middle name. I was a bit fed up about it but ultimately I thought it would have caused more trouble than it was worth. Only you know your family dynamics. I know it would have caused issues in mine.

mathanxiety Fri 23-Sep-11 18:44:35

I did, in similar circumstances too (black sheep of the family), and have never looked back. I used a girl's version of his name.

mumnosbest Fri 23-Sep-11 18:45:31

Don't think it would cause issues but don't want any negative feelings. Don't know if people would subconciously feel negative about a name. Seems silly but I do really like the name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now