Talk

Advanced search

William or Edward?

(36 Posts)
RealityVonCrapp Wed 14-Sep-11 11:25:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hugebluebump Wed 14-Sep-11 11:37:53

The William I know got teased with Willy a lot, but perhaps children nowadays don't use Willy for penis anymore? Edward is fine, if a little dull.

Jojay Wed 14-Sep-11 11:39:46

Both are great names but personally I can't stand cutesy nicknames like Teddy or Billy.

Nowt wrong with Ed or Will grin

rachel234 Wed 14-Sep-11 11:42:37

I find them both a little dull if I'm honest - both are quite widely used already.

I think I prefer Edward (nickname Ed, not Teddy) as I'm not keen on Will or Willy (although Bill might work).

LaTristesse Wed 14-Sep-11 11:56:58

I like them both, but prefer Ned and Will as nns. Which goes best with your surname?
(We do use willy for penis, so maybe that would sway it for me...!)

RealityVonCrapp Wed 14-Sep-11 11:59:17

RealityVonCrapp Wed 14-Sep-11 11:59:46

minipie Wed 14-Sep-11 12:18:57

Edward definitely.

Hedwig3 Wed 14-Sep-11 12:33:11

William by far!

Really dislike the name Edward - clunky and awkward

Also, while I am being opinionated, nicknames should be just that and not become their name.

Ok, all finished smile

MelinaM Wed 14-Sep-11 12:46:05

Edward is lovelysmile I do like William, but hate the nn Bill/Billy etc... Will is okay.

mistressploppy Wed 14-Sep-11 12:55:46

I like both, but I think if you've been fond of Edward for a long time you should go with it.

The reasons for going with William are lovely (so sorry about your brother) but it sounds like Edward is your favourite.

I could be wrong usually am

MrsMilton Wed 14-Sep-11 13:02:11

I prefer Edward, but only because there are a LOT of Williams around atm.

brodanbell Wed 14-Sep-11 13:31:06

Actually prefer William Edward, as I think it flows better. Whereas if you say Edward William, the 'w' sounds appear too close together - at least to my ear! I think they are both nice names, but William edges it for me. Also prefer Will to Billy/Bill and prefer Ed. Teddy = no.

CurwySwide Wed 14-Sep-11 14:40:44

William is a lovely name - it is my dad's name and he was known as Billy as a boy, and now Bill. William/Will is really popular at the moment but Billy less so - I think it is gorgeous (not biased because of my dad at all!).

I don't really like Edward - it is a bit dull for my tastes, although I do like Ted/Teddy.

I would definitely go for William/Billy - and agree with brodanbell that William Edward flows much more nicely.

mistressploppy Wed 14-Sep-11 22:27:08

My DH is called Edward William grin

emmyloo2 Thu 15-Sep-11 03:45:17

I love both but my preference would be for Edward, nn Teddy or Ted.

CurwySwide Thu 15-Sep-11 08:33:16

Sorry mistressploppy! blush

FellatioNelson Thu 15-Sep-11 08:34:54

Edward/Ted/Teddy is lovely.

William/Bill/Billy/Will/Willy is horrid, and a bit wet sounding. (IMHO. grin)

Rhubarbgarden Thu 15-Sep-11 08:37:27

Personally I prefer Edward.

caesar04 Thu 15-Sep-11 08:44:50

My DS is Edward Arthur. I wanted Arthur after my Grandad but DH not keen. Am glad actually, I think its nice for DCs to have their own name with a nod to the older generations but sounds like William might have too many connections to your family IYSWIM??

The plan was to call him Teddy but it didn't suit him and he's always been an Edward. I figure he can decide his own nn when older ... Ed/Eddy/Ted ... whatever.

My niece calls him Teddy Edward though!!

MumIAm Thu 15-Sep-11 08:52:14

I think William is a lovely name. I would say that as have just named our little boy William. I think it's great as has so many possibilities - can create v cute nicknames but can be serious and sensible for when he's a grown man.

I don't think you can ever have a definitive answer to this though as so completely subjective and abstract.

If I were you I would reserve judgement until your little one is born (I assume he hasn't arrived yet). When you see him you may find one or the other suits him better.

DoctorX Thu 15-Sep-11 09:09:10

Both are great. William Edward sounds better.

mopsyflopsy Thu 15-Sep-11 09:47:30

The problem with William are the lack of nice nicknames - Will (Will, will you... and the last will), Willy (grin). I'd avoid Bill as you'd have a different initial (annoying when labelling stuff etc.).

Edward is ok, if a little dull, but Ed or Eddie are nicer than those above imo.

kat2504 Thu 15-Sep-11 10:00:55

I'm sorry but I just thought of Bill and Ted and some Excellent Adventures smile

Out of the two names I would pick William. If I went for Edward I would not use Teddy as a nickname though. Other than that I think Edward is a nice name, so if you have had your heart set on it, then go for it.

Wouldn't worry about the Willy as a nickname. Nobody uses that as far as I am aware, and Will is perfectly acceptable.

mopsyflopsy Thu 15-Sep-11 10:11:03

"Wouldn't worry about the Willy as a nickname. Nobody uses that as far as I am aware"

You might not realise how imaginative (actually, this doesn't require that much imagination..) little silly schoolboys are, then smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now