Talk

Advanced search

Evan

(11 Posts)
welshhouse Mon 12-Sep-11 13:20:46

Hello, could you give me your opinions on the name Evan for a boy. I've always liked this name but am now having doubts that it looks a bit feminine.
Thanks

dreamingofsun Mon 12-Sep-11 13:26:44

was one of my favourites - husband vetoed it as he said it reminded him of old people - but he's got no taste in names, so think of that as good. no not feminine

wheniwishuponastar Mon 12-Sep-11 13:27:07

i really like it - and don't think its feminine at all.

cheekeymonkey Mon 12-Sep-11 13:30:55

Evan is lovely for a boy, couldn't give it to a girl though - would remind me of large clothing store

choccyp1g Mon 12-Sep-11 13:32:55

When I wa syoung in Wales it was definitely an old farmer's name, but it is getting quite popular now in SE England. I know 3 LOs, possibly because of Evan Davies on the Today program and Dragon's Den.

runningmonkey Mon 12-Sep-11 13:33:07

Great name! <not biased at all, honest>

It's a Celtic variant of the name John and there are lots of other variants too so maybe one of the similar ones if you're still not convinced?

Euan/iwan
Ieuan
Ioan

Ethan might even fall into the same category too but don't quote me, baby brain and one handed typing while feeding so I can't look it up easily!

LetThereBeRock Mon 12-Sep-11 13:37:55

It's very nice and not at all feminine.

welshhouse Mon 12-Sep-11 13:45:52

Thanks for your views. I don't know why I thought it looked feminine, maybe because it looks similar to Eva.
Another thing I need to think about is that our surname begins with a T. Would it be cruel to have the initial E.T or would people not realise the connection?

Thanks again

zialovesesteban Mon 12-Sep-11 14:38:10

Evan is great! DS2 was almost Evan but we weren't sure about him having the same initial as DS1. Go for it!

comedaygoday Mon 12-Sep-11 15:06:48

I don't think Evan is too feminine. It makes me think of Evan Dando. As for having E. T as initials, I wouldn't worry about it.

MelinaM Mon 12-Sep-11 17:29:00

No, too 'surnamey' for me! ..plus I'd be forever wanting to pop an 's' on the endgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now