Talk

Advanced search

James: classic or boring?!

(75 Posts)
footyfan Fri 09-Sep-11 23:38:25

I'm 36 weeks with my first and struggling with names.

My DH likes 'classic' names that mean something to his family- so his options are James, John and Robert.

My favourite of those is James - but I can't get very excited about it. Problem is, I can't come up with any other suggestions either. I don't like really outlandish names, so most other boys names seem a bit boring.

Is James really dull? Any other similar suggestions?

epeems Fri 09-Sep-11 23:40:00

I like Ivan.

Kayano Fri 09-Sep-11 23:42:19

Why not just pick a more exciting middle name of your choosing?

James is nice and I like it, but like you think it might be a bit meh...

MelinaM Fri 09-Sep-11 23:44:01

Love James ...but hate nn Jim!

Robert nn Bertie is rather nice?

Alexander - Xander / Sandy
Balthazar
Christopher - Kit
Edward
Edmund
Elliott
Flynn
George
Henry - Harry
Laurence
Louis
Matthew
Nicholas
Oliver
Seth
Solomon
Theodore - Theo
Wilf
William - Will
Winston

LunarRose Fri 09-Sep-11 23:45:40

James is both boring and classic.

Unless you love the idea of family names or really really love the name do not whatever you do pick a family name, you will at one point in the future regret it.

LunarRose Fri 09-Sep-11 23:46:13

Jamie, Jay, anything but Jim [yuck]

LunarRose Fri 09-Sep-11 23:46:37

Agreeing with melina M

startail Fri 09-Sep-11 23:47:42

If I had a DS he'd be James, nice classic name and a family one here.
Really not sure about unusual boys names, they all seem to give me preconceptions of what the child might be like. Also DH got teased for his second name which is very old fashioned and I got teased for everything but my very ordinary name.

BingBongSong Sat 10-Sep-11 00:05:45

I have a James, nn Jimmy!

BingBongSong Sat 10-Sep-11 00:06:43

It was the only boy's name that dh and I could agree on. Jamie doesn't suit his personality.

footyfan Sat 10-Sep-11 00:32:19

Thanks everyone. I like the nn Jay - but I'm with everyone else about Jim!!

I have quite an unusual surname, so maybe that will have to be the interesting part of the name!!

4 weeks to come up with something better!

Clary Sat 10-Sep-11 00:39:46

James is not dull, it is a good name that all can spell, say, know the sex of (unless on MN - see another thread! grin).

The only thing is it is v v popular, and remains so I think. I can think of about a dozen among my DC's peers and friends, ie aged 13-8. I also know plenty who are younger tho I don't know so many younger DC.

Basically there will prob be others in his class. That may or may not bother you (it's not my choice but clearly fine for many).

Names like James (but perhaps with the same strictures) might be Matthew, Oliver, Thomas, Jack, Jacob, Max, William.

lurkinginthebackground Sat 10-Sep-11 00:40:34

I like all your dh's choices.

footyfan Sat 10-Sep-11 01:56:15

Maybe I'm just being unrealistic in expecting to be wowed by a name.

We don't live in the UK, and don't think we'll be moving back any time soon - so I'm not so worried about the popularity thing.

Does it matter that another family member (cousin) will have the same name?

lolajane2009 Sat 10-Sep-11 11:42:32

My brother is james and if we have another, unlikely, that is a boy he would be John james.

OvO Sat 10-Sep-11 11:45:55

I have a James. It's a fantastic, classic, strong name! He doesn't have a nickname as I don't like Jamie or Jim. Though we do occasionally call him JimBob. grin

Clary Sat 10-Sep-11 14:27:25

Oh if not in UK popularity not such a problem.

Have to say tho I am on a new course with 40 other people and four of the men, out of about 15, are called James. That would bug me (it does bug me - there is another woman with my name on the course and I am stupidly irritated, especially as my name is relatively unusual).

Aaaaanyway. Cousin ruled a name out for us (William) but we do see them quite often so it would have been a bit odd - Big Will and little Will etc.

Really tho footyfan, keep searching for the name you love - I love all my DCs' names grin

mayanna123 Sat 10-Sep-11 15:38:27

James is very boring and dull imo, sorry.

How about Elliot, Gregory, Dominic, Quentin, Patrick, Tobias?

BedHog Sat 10-Sep-11 15:48:35

James, along with Thomas, are the dullest names in the world. My heart sinks every time I hear someone has given their newborn son one of these names. There are tens of thousands of boys names around, there's no need to use something so tedious.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MangoMonster Sat 10-Sep-11 19:28:38

I love the name James! It's a classic.

MangoMonster Sat 10-Sep-11 19:29:45

Oliver is lovely too.

stripeybump Sat 10-Sep-11 19:31:52

James is the provisional name of the contents of my bump - I feel the same as you though. My DH likes strong, biblical boys' names whereas I'd rather go for something a little unusual. Strangely it's also my cousin's name!

It's hard to get excited about most boys' names - girls are much easier!

stripeybump Sat 10-Sep-11 19:32:37

I love Oliver but it's currently no.1 boy's name.

Collision Sat 10-Sep-11 19:34:07

meh!

Elliott Robert James

Finlay Robert James

Theo James Robert

Maxwell Robert James

IMVHO family names should be middle names and you should be allowed to choose something you both love as a first name.

My boys have a name we both love as a first name and then a middle name from each side of the family hence 2 middle names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now