Talk

Advanced search

DS due 7 weeks... Monty or Jesse?

(39 Posts)
andypandypuddle Tue 02-Aug-11 21:32:04

Just getting opinions.. I like both but love one and I wonder general consensus. I realise not to everyone's taste but more 'traditionally' chosen boy's names aren't for me ('traditionally' meaning more commonplace I guess, as of course, Jesse is very 'traditional' in a biblical sense..) Thanks in advance...

Sophiesmummie Tue 02-Aug-11 21:34:12

Monty with Montgomery on birth certificate.

andypandypuddle Tue 02-Aug-11 21:35:08

Thanks Sophies...

MirandaGoshawk Tue 02-Aug-11 21:36:03

I like them both, however they both have drawbacks - Monty sounds like a pet's name, and also would you go for the long name on the birth cert - Montgomery/Montmorency?

Jesse is, as you say, a good, solid name but it does sound like the (more usual) female version, Jessie.

But whichever you choose, people will get used to it.

MirandaGoshawk Tue 02-Aug-11 21:36:33

x-post

Chipotle Tue 02-Aug-11 21:38:47

I hope I'm not too honest here but... I know 3 Montys and they're all dogs. blush
Jesse is best IMO.

andypandypuddle Tue 02-Aug-11 21:43:33

Honesty is fine smile.. that's why I'm here.. Monty is a late runner and it is Jesse that I have always loved. I realise it has drawbacks in terms of being possibly feminine sounding (but only seems to be in this country as sooo popular in the States) but it's origins are definitely masculine and the biblical meaning is important to me.. but always useful to canvas opinion from the masses!

LemonDifficult Tue 02-Aug-11 21:45:08

Jesse, as in 'you great Jesse'? Hmmm. I think the poor mite may prefer Monty, as in 'Monty, you TERRIBLE CUNT'

andypandypuddle Tue 02-Aug-11 21:47:23

Hmm.. I think I'd take the Jesse insult smile

lockets Tue 02-Aug-11 22:17:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaydeeC Tue 02-Aug-11 22:18:57

it's a no brainer - Jesse every time
but I'm biased as I have a beautiful 14 yo one grin
I really hate it when posters go one about it being 'girly'. We have never had a problem and no-one has insulted him, ever.
I have never regretted calling him Jesse - it's lovely!

PedigreeChump Tue 02-Aug-11 22:23:40

Much prefer Monty with Montgomery on BC. I have female family called Jessie so for me it sounds really girly.

Slambang Tue 02-Aug-11 22:24:21

Monty

EdithWeston Tue 02-Aug-11 22:26:08

I think Monty is lovely!

Jesse would work in US, but absolutely not in UK. It really is a "pick on me" name here.

Wallissimpson Tue 02-Aug-11 22:29:33

Monty makes me shudder, sorry. It's, "Look at me how middle clarss I am" in buckets.
Plus, Monty is a pasty loser kid.

Jesse is a cool cowboy grin

InstantAtom Tue 02-Aug-11 22:42:05

I prefer Jesse, but I agree that unfortunately, many people will find it feminine-sounding.

Monty is a bit pretentious IMHO.

How about Jacob, Jerome, Saul, Elliot, Felix, Levi, Isaac, Jared, Joshua, Jedediah (Jed)?

andypandypuddle Tue 02-Aug-11 22:45:07

Laydee - lovely to hear positive stories about Jesse.. I absolutely love it and I think it will take a lot to swing me away from it..

andypandypuddle Tue 02-Aug-11 22:49:40

instant.. I like Isaac from your list..

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Tue 02-Aug-11 22:50:38

Monty is, to me, dog or possibly horse name. don't like it.

Jesse is a good name but yes, he WILL get the piss taken out of him at school for having a girls name. here in my bit of scotland the phrase "you big jesse" is an insult aimed at men who are, ahem, too much in touch with their feminine side - even though i like it, i wouldn't use it.

I do love Jared tho - KoL fan here!
Jedediah makes me think of Owen Wilson in Night at the Museum.

Bandwithering Tue 02-Aug-11 23:10:08

Jesse of course. I like that unisex vibe, bit like the lady on another board with a Christy and a kerry. I like Kim for a boy too.

Monty/Montgomery is not great. Sounds like you are obsessed with the second world war.

andypandypuddle Tue 02-Aug-11 23:12:27

Bandwithering - smile... Same here with the unisex thing..

Bandwithering Tue 02-Aug-11 23:14:57

but... I don't like names like Bailey and Casey and [thinks hard] other unisex names on girls.

my x bil had a girls name. he carried it off well because he was tall and confident, played football.

BulletWithAName Wed 03-Aug-11 00:22:12

Jesse- I absolutely love this name.

andypandypuddle Wed 03-Aug-11 00:27:25

Jesse is definitely a name which splits people it seems.. a 'Marmite' name.. rather than the type of name which most people like but not so many people actually 'love'

sleepywombat Wed 03-Aug-11 00:28:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now