Talk

Advanced search

Evan and ? Can't decide

(27 Posts)
lookout Thu 21-Jul-11 08:35:24

We already have an Evan and another boy due in October. Dh and I can't decide on names. Surname starts with a 'j' sound. So far we have Alec, Eliott, Louis, Hugo, Nathan, Linden as possibles, with Eliott being the favourite. But I'm not particularly excited about any of them. Dh loves Owen but I think it's too close to Evan. What does anyone think and are there any other ideas?

BelleEnd Thu 21-Jul-11 08:36:58

Owen is great and goes well with Evan. I think William would be a good match, too.

Evan is a fabulous name smile

lookout Thu 21-Jul-11 11:03:17

Really? I'm not sold on Owen. When you say them, 'Owen and Evan' do you not find it a bit of a mouthful? William is out, ex bf name blush

Thanks though, I love the name Evan too. He was nearly a Joshua but I am so glad we went with Evan.

Faggotsnpeas Thu 21-Jul-11 11:09:17

How about Noah? Will be my ds name when he makes an appearence in Oct!! I like Hugo and Eliott, but maybe having both names begining with the same letter could be confusing. Speaking from experience, I have 2 bothers, Michael and Martin. When living with parents and they got post addressed to Mr M ...... no one knew which brother they were for!!
Nathan is also lovely.

Faggotsnpeas Thu 21-Jul-11 11:11:02

I also know 2 brothers named Evan and Oscar, what about Oscar?

PaperBank Thu 21-Jul-11 13:29:14

Samuel, Oliver, Aidan, Felix, Dylan, Charles, Nicholas, George, Tristan, William?

lookout Thu 21-Jul-11 14:13:33

Faggotspeas Dh is worried about Noah's Ark jokes, otherwise we like Noah a lot. Lots of people have said that about the two initials thing. I can't decide how big of a problem it would be. I mean it might be a bit annoying sometimes, but a realy problem? Oscar definitely not, my second dog was called Oscar grin.
PaperBank I like Dylan, but does it go with Evan as they both end in 'an'? None of the others grab me, sorry.
This is hard. We had loads of great girls names!

andthisisme Thu 21-Jul-11 17:19:56

I know brothers called Dylan and Evan, I think they go together well.

I'm with you on Owen, it is a mouthful.

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 17:20:36

Evan and Louis sound nice together I think

thisisyesterday Thu 21-Jul-11 17:21:31

but don't worry too much about them "going" together or how they sound together.
they're their own people and it's such a short part of their life that they'll be known as "evan and Owen" (or whatever)

so if you really love Owen then use it

RickGhastley Thu 21-Jul-11 17:24:31

How about Evan and:
Jude
Joel
Isaac
Keir
Flynn
Jacob/Jake
Elijah/Eli for short
Emil

Agree that Owen is too same-y. I do like Noah though!

lookout Thu 21-Jul-11 19:33:53

thisisyesterday, that's what dh says, not to worry about them going together. He has also just rejected Louis.
RickGhastley lots of those start with a J which doesn't go with our surname. I promise you, I've tried lots of names which start with a J and they just sound like too much with our surname with starts with a 'j' sound.
I think we're edging towards Eliott and Owen. Still a few months to go though and would like a bit more of a choice!

runningmonkey Thu 21-Jul-11 19:48:05

Sorry to tell you this but I think owen and evan basically have the same meaning and origin (forms of the name John).

Great names though! both on our list - we have a 2mo Evan smile

How about Huw? We also had Awstin (Austin) and gethin on our list

lookout Thu 21-Jul-11 20:54:35

They're not exactly the same origins, Evan has some Hebrew in it from somewhere, but I thought the same as you, they're too similar. Dh just said no to Austin. It is frustrating indeed.

BabesandJugs Thu 21-Jul-11 23:15:33

I agree that Evan with either Owen or Elliott are very similar

Gabriel
Isaac
Seth
Sebastian
Dominic
Oscar
Samuel
Nathaniel

MelodyMagicalMaladies Thu 21-Jul-11 23:23:51

Leon
Rudy
Nate

cece Thu 21-Jul-11 23:25:36

I know brothers called Evam and Owen and always think they sound good together.

lookout Fri 22-Jul-11 08:35:32

BabesandJugs I love a lot of those names except for Dominic, Seth, Oscar and Nathaniel which I'd just change to Nathan. But dh hates them. This is the problem we have. I like a lot of different names, as does he, but we don't like each others.

Sorry Melody, only Leon appeals to me and dh has already rejected it.

cece thanks for the vote of confidence. I think you're in a minority though wink

echidnakid Fri 22-Jul-11 09:33:20

I like Evan and Owen too.

I also like Evan and Alexander.

jellybeans Fri 22-Jul-11 17:32:59

Alex was my first thought or Daniel.

lookout Fri 22-Jul-11 22:02:56

Evan goes well with Alex, but I know sooooo many of them. Looks like we are sticking with Owen and Eliott for now. I might have to get a baby name book though for some summer browsing. Thanks for all the suggestions, though. And sorry to be so picky!

SheCutOffTheirTails Fri 22-Jul-11 22:05:21

Aaron
Dylan

Popbiscuit Fri 22-Jul-11 22:06:58

I also know two brothers called Evan and Owen! Sometimes similar sounds are nice together.

redheadbedhead Sat 23-Jul-11 06:29:02

love the name Elliot, isn't that the cute kid in ET? Had totally forgotten that name. Great choice...

Nagini Sat 23-Jul-11 07:06:34

I've got an Evan smile

His brother would have been Toby but we had a girl. I love Alex but we have an A surname...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now