Talk

Advanced search

Think you've decided on a name? Check out where it ranks on the official list of the most popular baby names first.

Reusing a middle name as a firstname

(13 Posts)
itsawonderfuldarleneconnorlife Mon 27-Dec-10 21:32:22

Hypothetical dilemma:

If next, probably/possible last DC is a boy I want to call him Ryan Andrew Connor(not the actual names, just examples for illustrative purposes).

Andrew is a frequent name on both sides of our families. It is also DP's 'official' name but everyone calls him Andy.

The thing is, if we then go onto have another DS I would want to give him Andrew as his first name, nn Andy. It was always my next favourite name even before I met DP.

Would it matter if I had 2 DSs who shared a first/middle name? I wouldn't want to put the nn on the BC, even if it was always used, so that's not an option.

ceebeegeebies Mon 27-Dec-10 21:35:40

Personally I wouldn't do it - I had the same dilemma with my boys as I had used my absolute 2 fave names for DS1's name (and in hindsight, I actually preferred his middle name and wished we had used that as his first name) but I just couldn't use it again - probably no logical reason other than it didn't feel 'right'.

I am a bit confused though as to why you can't use Andrew as a first name for this baby??

allnightlong Mon 27-Dec-10 21:38:37

Bad idea IMO you could end up with the first child feeling like you felt he wasn't good enough for the name being that he only got it as a middle name and also that the 2nd one 'stole' his name, bit like taken part of his identity.

itsawonderfuldarleneconnorlife Mon 27-Dec-10 21:58:47

Because I prefer Ryan, Andrew/Andy is my next favourite name.

SE13Mummy Mon 27-Dec-10 23:36:34

I wouldn't do it - the second DS may feel that as his name was only your second favourite that he too was 'only' your second favourite!

DD1's middle name is Mary. We didn't consider it as a first name when we named her but I'd always wanted it as my DD's middle name in honour of my Grannie.

When pregnant with DD2 we seriously considered Mary as a first name for her. Partly because both DH and I loved the name but also because my Grannie had died. We felt we couldn't call DD2 by DD1's middle name as she may feel less special (she was 4.5 when DD2 was born). Then we came across the name Miriam; a version of Mary and a name we love (even more so when we discovered one of the meanings was 'wished for child') so DD2 is Miriam.

nooka Tue 28-Dec-10 05:28:08

I wouldn't be worried about using a middle name as a subsequent first name, but I would not give a child the same name as one of his parents.

Raahh Tue 28-Dec-10 11:04:07

It is a bit strange- and can cause problems. Dh and his brother are
Henry James
James Henry

(not real names, but you get the idea)

It has created probs with official things over the years.

I must admit, I made this hmm face when I first found out ( but I had always thought future Mil a bit odd, tbh!).

MrsvWoolf Tue 28-Dec-10 12:07:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bue Tue 28-Dec-10 14:24:10

To be honest, I think it's a bit weird. Sorry. Personally I would either use it as DS's middle name or risk the wait and see if you get a boy the second time around.

LittleYellowTeapot Tue 28-Dec-10 14:37:53

I've wondered this before. If I were to have another DS I would like to give him my DS's middle nmae, which is also my brother's name.

I think I would use the middle name again. Might be a bit weird to begin with but don't think it would really matter as middle names aren't used too often. I know 2 sisters with the same middle name.

SantarissaCripslock Tue 28-Dec-10 14:39:44

I did it.

My DS1 is James Alexander and my DS3 is Alexander. There were no other names that I loved as much as Alexander - in fact it is my number one favourite name but James is my dads name so I went with that for my DS1.

Considering how little middle names are even heard I had no problem re-using DS1's middle name. Alexander is also my DH's middle name so my DS's just think of it as a family name and that it's a nice connection for them all, iykwim.

muminthemiddle Tue 28-Dec-10 23:18:13

I wouldn't call your ds the same name as your dh but that is just my opinion. No matter how much I liked the name, just too confusing and sounds quite sycophantic (sp?).

FooffyShmoofer Wed 29-Dec-10 09:43:44

I wouldnt purely because a friends DH was a late in life baby at least 10 years between him and siblings. Older brothers name Paul Adrian, younger brother then called Adrian Paul. Just feels like parents couldnt quite be bothered to think of something new and original. If it was me I would always feel a bit crap about it I think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: