Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know which child-friendly paint to use on canvas

(8 Posts)
wheresmypaddle Mon 05-Oct-09 13:30:48

Am thinking of making getting some small canvasses (seen some quite cheap ones in Dunelm) and doing some painting on them with DS for Grandparents christmas presents. The canvasses say for use with acrylic paint but that sounds very sticky and messy for an enthusastic 2.5yo who thinks in terms of quantity not quality when it comes to paint.

Has anyone used a different more child friendly paint- did it turn out OK.

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 14:12:25

We find they work fine with ordinary poster paints and watercolours.

wheresmypaddle Mon 05-Oct-09 14:35:12

Brilliant thank you.

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 14:39:23

Another thought - my DDs usually put a watercolour wash over the canvas for background. It's possible that it might help the poster paint stay on.

wheresmypaddle Mon 05-Oct-09 16:09:23

Thanks- can you tell me what a watercolour wash is though!! Sorry for the obvious question I am not at all experienced at crafting, but am keen to learn!!

Pyrocanthus Mon 05-Oct-09 17:36:50

It's just watery paint brushed all over the canvas. Makes a nice background colour, and I wondered if it helped the top layer of paint adhere. I am hopeless at arts and crafts, but the DDs are keen.

Tif Tue 06-Oct-09 11:41:02

The elc does kid-friendly paints and they wash off with water. The not for under 3's warning on it is more for the plastic bottle and lid they told me...

kcartyparty Thu 22-Oct-09 21:42:17

you can also buy non - toxic acrylic paint at Baker Ross on line. Or bring your canvas to Kc Art Cafe were you can use their paint, and be charged a very small fee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now