Talk

Advanced search

Crochet blanket - help with colours

(19 Posts)
tizwozliz Sun 24-Sep-17 10:34:08

I've started making a granny stripe blanket but I'm unsure on whether to stick with 4 colours (light grey, red, dark grey, white) or go for something more multicoloured

Any suggestions? - I'd prefer to not unpick what I've already started.

scaredofthecity Sun 24-Sep-17 10:38:07

If you've got second thoughts now, you'll only hate it more later!
Frogging a few rows now will be nothing like doing it when you change your mind completely half way through
(bitter voice of experience!)

Ralvery is great for seeing what other people have done with colour combinations.

AmethystRaven Sun 24-Sep-17 10:40:47

There are hundreds of colour combinations on pinterest, you could lose hours to it!

tizwozliz Sun 24-Sep-17 10:43:41

I've already lost hours to looking at colour combinations and so decided to just bite the bullet and start and now having second thoughts!

DaisyChainsForever Sun 24-Sep-17 10:46:59

Who/what is the blanket for? If it's a gift, do they like the colours? If it's for you, make sure you are 100% before you carry on or you'll only regret it.

tizwozliz Sun 24-Sep-17 10:55:01

It's for me, and i like the colours so far i'm just having trouble envisaging whether it'll look good once it's worked up to blanket size.

SoupDragon Sun 24-Sep-17 11:23:04

I think stripes can be tricky when there are more than 2 colours but not loads - it's all to do with the repeat. Sometimes I think it looks better in a random repeat rather than a rigid colour repeat all the way though.

That said I'm currently doing a 3 colour one with a rigid repeat, although the red is only an accent row.

tizwozliz Sun 24-Sep-17 18:44:59

Think you're right, if i'm not happy now best to undo now then later, I can sort out the slightly too tight chain at the same time. I'm using merino wool so investing a significant some of money in this so best be sure i'm 100% happy with it.

I think this in reality for me will be finding something else I like and copying it. I like the idea of making it up as I go along but I just don't have the talent for it!

Have a look at the colour palettes on Zing's thread.

They are Stylecraft Specil DK but there are some brilliant colour combinations.

<Stylecraft Special>

tizwozliz Tue 26-Sep-17 13:12:41

The wool i prefer to use is rather limited in the colour ranges available so as lovely as a lot of the palettes are they're not easy to recreate with other yarn.

RaininSummer Tue 26-Sep-17 13:21:29

You could test your ideas in a small piece - maybe 30 chain - make a little doll blanket. Or you can use coloured pencils to see how it looks. Or make little wool swatches on pegs like Lucy at Attic 24 and play with them smile

tizwozliz Tue 26-Sep-17 13:45:10

That involves buying the wool first though!

comeagainforbigfudge Tue 26-Sep-17 14:41:51

What about something like this?

user453678953 Tue 26-Sep-17 14:43:16

Why don't you get a small
Strip of card and wrap a few rows of each colour you fancy around it. That way you can see if they go together really quickly

EnidNextDoor Tue 26-Sep-17 14:54:44

If you want stripes I think random colours and widths work better.

RaininSummer Tue 26-Sep-17 18:07:14

Tiz, hadnt thought of that unbelievably as I have a heck of a lot if wool. I like to keep one of every stylecraft for such eventualities ;) coloured pencils will still work.

EnidNextDoor Tue 26-Sep-17 18:10:49

Wow that blanket comeagain linked to is gorgeous.

tizwozliz Wed 27-Sep-17 18:00:27

I've worked out what was putting me off, it's the shade of red that's not quite right.

Found an example of something similar to what I want to end up with, so just need to find the right shade of red now. I have the greys already which is why I'm going with these sorts of colours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now