Talk

Advanced search

Knitting or crocheting on a trans atlantic flight

(27 Posts)
TheFurryMenace Fri 26-May-17 21:02:18

Im flying Virgin Atlantic from Heathrow to JFK, can I take both wooden knitting and wooden crochet hooks in my hand luggage? Cant bear the thought of prime knitting time going to waste. Have found older info on the internet, but nothing recent, so not sure with the current security threat if things have changed?

leighdinglady Fri 26-May-17 21:07:42

No. You can't even take a metal nail file

nythbran2 Fri 26-May-17 21:20:41

Have flown to China with wooden and plastic circular needles. With the projects already on the needles before I started so it was clear what they were for. Haven't risked sock needle steels though!

flimflaminurjams Fri 26-May-17 21:24:35

Not allowed. Even if you don't declare them, if they scan your bag they'll come up on scan and be confiscated.

NannyR Fri 26-May-17 21:30:35

I was on a flight a few months this ago and the woman next to me was knitting socks. A wooden hook or knitting needles are no more dangerous than a pencil really.
this government website seems to say that knitting needles and small scissors are okay in hand luggage.

TheFurryMenace Sat 27-May-17 07:15:01

Thanks for all the replies. Hit and miss it would seem, despite what the official advice is.

I think I'll risk it. I have wooden interchangables with work already cast on - socks. I'll also take wooden crochet hook and project as back up.

I'll report back on return, as might be helpful for others going on holiday this summer.

Fairyfellowsmasterstroke Sat 27-May-17 07:42:56

I remember Knotty (or was it Pistey) saying that they regularly crocheted on flights.

Be aware that, if your projects are confiscated at customs you will lose them as you'll already have checked your main baggage in so you'll have no where to store them.

At least wooden needles/hooks won't trigger the metal detectors!!

Canyousewcushions Sat 27-May-17 07:53:45

Uk were fine for knitting needles, not sure if thats changed after recent events though. Metal ones also ok. However.... other countries have different rules. Had to post my knitting home from a hand luggage only trip to France as they deem them too dangerous to carry.

Radishal Sat 27-May-17 08:21:03

Last year and the year before I took a plastic crochet hook and wool for an in flight project. Declared it openly- was prepared to dump. Had no problem either way.

healthyheart Sat 27-May-17 08:24:38

Be aware that, if your projects are confiscated at customs you will lose them as you'll already have checked your main baggage in so you'll have no where to store them

Surely though they'd just remove the needles and leave you to take your work in progress to carry on with at a later date?

healthyheart Sat 27-May-17 08:25:05

Be aware that, if your projects are confiscated at customs you will lose them as you'll already have checked your main baggage in so you'll have no where to store them

Surely though they'd just remove the needles and leave you to take your work in progress to carry on with at a later date?

TheFurryMenace Sat 27-May-17 09:56:18

Its an interchangeable set so if they take them I can keep it on the cord and secure it with end caps. I'd be more gutted about the wool than the needle tips.

unweavedrainbow Sat 27-May-17 09:58:57

Wood is generally fine. Crochet hooks much more likely to get through than knitting needles. Metal knitting needles are an almost certain "no"-they're just long metal spikes!

OccasionalNachos Sun 28-May-17 08:22:21

Thread a lifeline in so you can remove the needles and keep the project. Don't take needles and hooks you would be gutted to lose.

I took a wip on a transatlantic flight & internal USA flights with United in March, and everything was fine.

OccasionalNachos Sun 28-May-17 08:23:39

Oh just see you're using a circular, that's fine then you won't lose the wool! They might confiscate the needle tips but it's unlikely.

CaptainBraandPants Sun 28-May-17 08:28:13

I've not flown transatlantically, but I have successfully taken crochet hooks (metal ones) on planes elsewhere many times.

PersisFord Sun 28-May-17 08:35:44

My mum does this all the time with bamboo needles, don't think she has ever had a problem

mimiasovitch Sun 28-May-17 08:48:49

I've not had any problems in the last few years taking my knitting, even on metal needles. Several times they've searched my bags, swabbed a few things and just put the knitting back in! I do always use interchangeable just in case though.

yaela123 Sun 28-May-17 21:21:01

I did this with no problem on flights to and from Israel (which is quite big on security.
Had metal and wooden needles. Just buried them a bit in my stuff

storynanny Sun 28-May-17 21:41:43

I fly to jfk once a year with virgin or delta and have always taken needles and hooks on board. Might not risk my new expensive Karbonz tho just in case.

WanderingTrolley1 Sun 28-May-17 21:43:07

I'd risk it.

TheFurryMenace Mon 29-May-17 07:13:39

Well, I've made it through security at Heathrow no probs with my knit pro symphony interchangeables and wooden crochet hooks! 7.5 lovely hours of knitting rather than 7.5 hours of utter boredom. grin

OccasionalNachos Mon 29-May-17 08:04:51

Yay! Happy knitting & happy holiday smile

liz70 Mon 29-May-17 10:43:19

Hurrah! Glad you got through OK. smile I chiefly use KnitPro Trendz and bamboo 🎍 crochet hooks, so I guess I should be all right too if the occasion arises. Happy stitching! smile

TheFurryMenace Tue 30-May-17 01:42:28

No probs at all using my needles, knit half a sock!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now