Talk

Advanced search

I need a yarn that doesn't feel like wool for crochet

(13 Posts)
Mummyhug Thu 29-Dec-16 21:54:13

Hi all,
My husband bought me a crochet kit for beginners for Christmas and so far I'm really enjoying it!
Problem is that I hate wool!
I don't like the fuzzyness of it. It's itchy. Old fashioned and I just don't like the look of it.
I've also found it difficult to crochet with because the wool keeps splitting and I end up only pulling half of the wool through a loop then it goes all baggy and crap looking

Can anybody suggest a better type of yarn for me to try? Something smoother or softer?

I love chenille so I intend to give that a try and just discovered tshirt jersey yarn which looks cool but not sure what kind of results I'd get.

It'd be really cool to get others opinions on alternative yarns

I'm enjoying making flowers and headbands and stuffed toys at the minute, not too bothered about big blanket projects just yet

Thank you all flowers

HeyMacWey Thu 29-Dec-16 21:58:08

Try stylecraft supersoft dk.
It's acrylic but doesn't feel squeaky.
They also do a massive range of colours so good for toys etc.

bassetmum Thu 29-Dec-16 21:58:39

I use a brand called stylecraft dk. Its 100% acrylic. Really lovely to work with.

PolterGoose Thu 29-Dec-16 21:59:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Thu 29-Dec-16 22:01:10

If it's anything like the kit I got for Christmas it'll be cheap plasticy wool rather than decent quality acrylic or blend with natural figures. Stylecraft Special DK is a fantastic yarn, dead cheap and amazing range of colours

bookbook Thu 29-Dec-16 22:02:37

I use a lot of bamboo yarn for knitting - it's smooth and soft .

Mummyhug Thu 29-Dec-16 22:02:59

This is what I'm working with at the minute. It's alright for practicing with but I just hate how fuzzy it is 😫

FranHastings Thu 29-Dec-16 22:06:24

If you want to use cotton, Stylecraft Cotton Classique is great, as are Drops Cotton Merino and Paintbox Yarns from loveknitting.com.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Thu 29-Dec-16 22:06:47

It's not the Aldi chicken tea cosy is it? grin

RosieThorn Fri 30-Dec-16 11:11:01

I love Sublime yarns. Natural fibres, some wool but not at all itchy. They are lovely to work with. They can be expensive but you can sometimes find bargains in the sales.

SoupDragon Fri 30-Dec-16 11:44:29

Stylecraft Special is perfect for beginners. And not so beginners!

I really hate the feeling of proper work on my fingers - it's why I gave up learning to knit many many years ago, aged 8!

There are loads of beautiful yard out there but they can be expensive. I'm using merino silk blend at the moment and it it gorgeous.

bookbook Fri 30-Dec-16 12:00:10

the Debbie Bliss cashmerino is lovely -, but expensive.. I used it for some special things I knitted for my DGS. I also took a punt and ordered some direct from China , and that was lovely too , quick to arrive, and relatively cheap.

LemonRedwood Fri 30-Dec-16 14:38:48

I'm currently using Sirdar Smudge for a blanket. It's a chenille yarn and is gorgeous and soft. I'm finding it easy to use as a beginner because the hook doesn't "split" the thread by mistake while I'm working.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now