Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

crocheted or knitted blanket?

(14 Posts)
londonpia Tue 13-Dec-16 21:22:08

I'd love to make a blanket for our bed, kingsize. I can knit- probably class myself as just a bit more than a beginner.

I can't crochet at all but the types of blankets that I have seen are all crochet ones. I want a colourful, multi texture/stitch, striped blanket.
I really like this one: www.littlewoollie.blogspot.co.uk/p/mixed-stitch-stripey-blanket-crochet.html - is this an ambitious crochet project for a beginner?

If it is, feel free to point me in the direction of a similar knitted blanket that is suitable for a slightly-more-than-beginner-knitter!

AmpersandRea Tue 13-Dec-16 21:32:09

If you can knit then you can crochet. Have a look at the Attic 24 blog, her crochet blankets are beautiful and the patterns are easy to follow.

fiverabbits Tue 13-Dec-16 21:32:58

I am a very experienced knitter but can only crochet squares. I have made loads of small blankets from squares and 2 cot bed size blankets. I think you will be better to do a blanket in squares and join them together because if you imagine a blanket even half of a kingsize bed will be very heavy to work on. Is there a chance that you will get bored before you get it finished. Also have you thought how you will wash and dry such a large heavy item ? What about the cost ?

londonpia Tue 13-Dec-16 21:39:28

Thanks for the responses- mixed ideas, regarding a knitter crocheting!

Five-I was thinking that if I mix up the stitches then I (hopefully) wouldn't get bored. Also, you suggest doing squares and then joining them - presumably I could do this with stripes?

PolterGoose Wed 14-Dec-16 08:59:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Wed 14-Dec-16 09:01:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AmpersandRea Wed 14-Dec-16 15:41:20

I'm knitting the garter squish blanket by Stephen West and it's getting a bit cumbersome now.
I've also got two crochet blankets on the go (both the wave pattern by Attic 24) which are easier in terms of there only being one live stitch, one of them is going to be enormous!
I recommend Bella Coco on YouTube for clear videos on how to crochet. A granny square is a great place to start with crochet. I struggled with learning to crochet at first, but I find it as easy as knitting now.

Bobtheblob Wed 14-Dec-16 15:58:00

I came to recommend Attic 24. Agree with a pp who said the link in the op is not ideal for a beginner. The cosy stripe on Attic 24 is lovely. I taught myself to crochet from her tutorials and various videos on YouTube.
As for someone who was concerned about cost and weight - weight not an issue as you hold the blanket on your lap to crochet it, just don't work on it in summer! I can fit a double bed size crocheted ripple blanket (from another Attic 24 pattern) in my washer. It cost around £40-50 to make in acrylic yarn (Stylecraft Special DK bought from Wool Warehouse).

NannyR Wed 14-Dec-16 16:10:28

Another recommendation for attic 24, the ripple pattern is very easy to learn and grows quickly. If you want a blanket made of squares, try googling "flowers in the snow" crochet blanket. I've just made one that is double bed size, the pattern would be very easy for a beginner but there are thousands of ends to sew in securely which might drive you mad!

SandwichYum Wed 14-Dec-16 19:22:54

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/stripes-and-textures-baby-blanket-archive
A knitting pattern you may like, doesn't look too complex and you could change the colours to whatever suits.

PeaceOfWildThings Wed 14-Dec-16 19:24:02

How about a cable knit in a chunky yarn?

bassetmum Wed 14-Dec-16 19:52:33

How about an everlasting granny square? Crochet blankets I think are nicer than knitted ones.

I learnt to crochet by watching "the crochet crowd" on YouTube

londonpia Thu 15-Dec-16 20:51:22

Thanks for the recommendations! I've chosen a completely different pattern and its a knitting one, but I've seen some beautiful crochet blankets so will definitely make that a resolution!

hillbilly Sun 01-Jan-17 23:53:37

Hi Londonpia. I have made the blanket in your link! It was my second project after doing one of the attic 24 ones. It was a steep learning curve but I really enjoyed it. I'm currently just finishing one from the Red Heart site called Flowers in a row which is very pretty. Go for it 😀

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now