Talk

Advanced search

Newbie knitter

(9 Posts)
Borisrules Tue 01-Nov-16 08:51:43

Hi,
Just started knitting and loving it. Just doing a scarf with some ridiculous fuzzy thread that I liked the look of, but that was difficult to knit, and I stuck to a straightforward garter stitch just to get back into it!
My next plan is a blanket (grey) of squares featuring all the different stitches.
Is there an easy yarn for this that is always available (it's likely to take me a while to finish this so I may need to buy more as I go along) and what sized needles are best for this?
Also how many stitches/rows for a decent square?
Sorry complete newbie! I have a book which I am going to work through!
I thought little squares would be good fun and keep the interest up! (And easy to redo if I cock up)

Borisrules Tue 01-Nov-16 08:56:31

Forgot to add that it would be nice if the squares were big enough to feature a bit of cable if I'm feeling adventurous!

crookedhooker Tue 01-Nov-16 08:58:50

Style craft Acrylic so easy to knit and crochet with and washes well.

Humphriescushion Tue 01-Nov-16 09:01:36

Hello, I think you are me! I have just started to learn to knit, and am doing this blanket.

www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=6748&cid=17#pattern_content

The needles are either size 5 or six ( i have a teacher and she changed some for 6) there are normally around 40 to 42 stitches for each square. I am enjoying it so far and is a good project for a beginner. So far I have done garter stitch, double seed stitch, and some ribbed stitch ( sorry not sure exactly since I doing this in French- fun!). We are not following the same stitches exactly as the pattern since we are choosing what we like and what I can cope with.
The yarn I order online and was onsale with cheap delivery so was easy.

Hopefully some of the experienced knitters will be along soon to help.
Good luck and happy knitting.

JoffreyBaratheon Tue 01-Nov-16 10:39:42

Join Ravelry then click on the Yarns and Patterns tabs for ideas.

www.ravelry.com/

When you search you can look for Free patterns and there's plenty that are downloadable, as well.

Cheap, readily available yarns can be got from Deramores:

www.deramores.com/

Watch out for the coupon codes to get discounts.

LegoCaltrops Tue 01-Nov-16 10:54:11

If you're worried about making mistakes (which are a right pain to fix even for an experienced knitter), try using a lifeline. Basically it's an extra piece of yarn threaded along a row, so if you make a mistake you can rip back to the line but no further. Video here (not mine!) I've been knitting for 15 years & only discovered this technique a year ago, it's brilliant!

Also, a crochet hook is fab for picking up the odd dropped stitch before they turn into a huge run.

SecretSaffron Wed 02-Nov-16 18:23:48

the blanket sounds lovely. I am just getting back into knitting too. i am currently working on a cushion cover but I was also planning another cushion cover next made up of squares of different stitches.
lego that lifeline idea is BRILLIANT! One of my greatest frustration is working my way through a pattern and then making a mistake - I am not experienced enough to know how to fix mistakes so either have to live with it or start again - which is REALLY demoralising when I've got a long way! I am definitely going to use that for more complicated patterns in future.

RaisingSteam Sat 05-Nov-16 22:21:07

I'd think about Aran weight yarn for a blanket, else it's a lot of stitches!

Borisrules Sun 06-Nov-16 15:56:45

Ha! Raising steam, too late! 😂 I've started now with very easy to knit yarn and some 4mm needles so it's going to take a while (and I'm already regretting it)! But at least I'm getting to practice all my stitches! 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now