Talk

Advanced search

Never crocheted - can I attempt a baby blanket?

(9 Posts)
dylsmimi Thu 26-May-16 10:44:16

Hi all
After a bit of advice please.
I have been wanting to learn to crochet for a while (I can knit a bit) and have bought some wool and a 4 crochet hook.
A friend has pointed me to the bella coco tutorials online
The thing is I really want to make my next baby a blanket - is this too ambitious? Do I just do lots of granny squares and join them or is there an easier way
Or is this an impossible task - I have 4 months to make it!

TheWoollybacksWife Thu 26-May-16 11:11:42

If you master the granny square then just keep going! Nothing wrong with a big granny square as a blanket - either in one colour or do a few rows of different colours.

I learnt to crochet before ABBA won Eurovision grin so can't comment on which websites can help - but I have used YouTube for video tutorials if I need someone to explain something

PurpleDaisies Thu 26-May-16 11:17:20

I love crochet. I learnt the basics a couple of years ago and never stopped.

This pattern is really simple-like a granny square but in stripes which you could do in a single colour to avoid weaving in ends.

PurpleDaisies Thu 26-May-16 11:17:30

attic24.typepad.com/weblog/granny-stripe-blanket.html

lavenderdoilly Thu 26-May-16 11:17:34

You can easily do this. Either join your squares together or keep going with a square. If you want to follow a pattern, give it a go. I find it very relaxing. Good luck.

RaeSkywalker Thu 26-May-16 11:18:05

Just make one massive granny square grin

I used to crochet with my Grandmother as a child, my Mum is coming over today to refresh my memory so I can start a baby blanket. I remember finding it easier than knitting, and quicker.

dylsmimi Thu 26-May-16 11:35:40

Thank you everyone!
purple that blanket looks lovely - I have ambitiously bought lots of shades of blue so i may try that - or a big granny square
You have all inspired me!
I currently have an essay to write but am too busy thinking about starting this! Hopefully this will give me the motivation to finish my work so I can learn to crochet!!

PlaymobilPirate Mon 30-May-16 08:02:12

Bella coco on YouTube is great for tutorials- I learnt last year and can turn my hand to most things now and have sold a few blankets! Enjoy 😀

PrincessHairyMclary Mon 30-May-16 08:09:12

I had an overwhelming urge to learn to crochet when Dd was born. I made the Granny stripe one linked above. It was easy once I got into it. Very little counting todo and it's very forgiving, and easy to pick up and do a little bit every now and again without looking for a pattern.

Granny squares are easy but I've never got the hang of joining them properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now