Talk

Advanced search

How do you find a seamstress - someone to alter a dress?

(9 Posts)
MrsPear Sat 07-Feb-15 12:53:21

My sister lives in Dorchester and has a dress that she desperately needs altering - both the fit on the top half (too loose) and the length (too long). How does she find someone or more to the point can anyone recommend someone?!

invisiblecrown Sat 07-Feb-15 12:55:40

lmgtfy.com/?q=dorchester+dress+alterations

MrsPear Sat 07-Feb-15 13:15:46

I was hoping for personal recommendations. if i wanted impersonal i would have gone to home page rather than mn. here is a biscuit

invisiblecrown Sat 07-Feb-15 13:33:41

Have your biscuit right back.

There are hundreds of reviews online. One MN recommendation doesn't mean anything.

lavendersun Sun 08-Feb-15 08:57:28

In your shoes I would probably look for the nearest fabric shop and ask in there, they will either do alterations or know someone who does.

MrsPear Sun 08-Feb-15 20:57:35

Thanks Lavender. I will search for one of those - i knew someone would have a sensible suggestion!

Elmersnewfriend Sat 14-Feb-15 14:36:10

It may be too late - but Johnsons the dry cleaners do alterations like that. I was sceptical, but I think they subcontract to a proper local seamstress (ie rather than sending it away IYSWIM)- when mine came back they'd done an amazing job.

Elmersnewfriend Sat 14-Feb-15 14:36:39

I should add, this was Johnsons in Dorchester

ishouldcocoa Sat 14-Feb-15 17:09:34

Most dry cleaners do alterations. Just ring around...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: