Talk

Advanced search

"Eight balls will definitely be enough" - A Cautionary Tale

(10 Posts)
RiaOverTheRainbow Tue 25-Nov-14 01:35:20

I've nearly finished a jumper I started in January, and I've bloody run out of yarn! There's maybe a day's worth of knitting left, I was so close to finishing the wretched thing lovingly-made gift. So I track down the make (because like an idiot I threw out the labels) and it's been discontinued <has heart attack>. Luckily it's on eBay... in ten-packs only. <Looks at back balance. Cries.>

Life lesson: always buy an extra ball. Please pray to the woolly gods that the dye lots match.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 25-Nov-14 01:38:13

Oh for fucks sake!

Can you add a decorative stripe?

*straws, where are the straws

SavoyCabbage Tue 25-Nov-14 03:00:39

Can you get a smaller friend?��

RiaOverTheRainbow Tue 25-Nov-14 11:46:10

I've bit the bullet and bought the ten pack. I'll definitely be able to re-eBay the leftover nine, right!?

Flossyfloof Tue 25-Nov-14 16:01:50

In the Olden Days we had Ye Olde Woole Shoppe. You bought what you thought you could knit before your next visit into town and they would keep aside the rest of the amount you thought youi would need for your project, you could always add an extra ball. Then when you got close to the end you could buy in ones if you wanted to.
I know things move on but it is a shame that there are so few wool shops around. We had one in the next village but it appears that they were leasing a listed building and changed the window without permission. The building is now empty and has been for a few years.

LizzieMint Tue 25-Nov-14 16:05:42

I ran out (despite buying the requisite number of balls on the pattern) of yarn about a year after I'd started knitting a jumper. But found a website where you can enter the dye lot and they will match the dye lot if they have it. Can't remember what it is, will have to look it up again

MiaowTheCat Wed 26-Nov-14 13:16:45

I think my mother realized just how much of my childhood I'd spent being dragged into Kemps wool shop (still going strong thankfully - even if their website's terrible) when SHE was buying yarn for a jumper for the kids and I was the one who turned around and reminded HER to check the dye lots were the same as she'd forgotten.

OwlCapone Wed 26-Nov-14 19:26:38

Hasn't Kemps updated their website recently?

OwlCapone Wed 26-Nov-14 19:29:11

I remember going into the local wool shop with my mother to buy the next balls from the stash they were keeping for her. I loved that shop as a child even though I only learnt to crochet as an old adult smile

queenofthepirates Wed 26-Nov-14 20:12:47

www.ravelry.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now