Talk

Advanced search

Crochet patterns

(13 Posts)
ineedsomeinspiration Fri 17-Oct-14 11:06:16

I'm just learning to crochet and was wondering if any one has any nice easy patterns they'd care to share. I'd like a couple of little prodjects to get me going.
Thank you.

rockinghorseShit Fri 17-Oct-14 19:00:38

its hard to know what to suggest, as you don't say what kind of things you want to make, but why not start by looking on ravelry to get some ideas? or pinterest.
I started crocheting 2 yrs ago, and I have mainly made baby blankets and hats.
try the attic 24 website for lovely blanket patterns with really easy to use instructions.
I found it easier to watch videos on YouTube to learn the stitches, I found the pictures in books difficult to follow.
have fun! smile

ineedsomeinspiration Fri 17-Oct-14 22:37:43

I like quirky bits,when I knit anything that takes too long gets abandoned.

FryOneFatManic Sun 19-Oct-14 20:02:04

I found that making granny squares in a variety of stitches and patterns was a good way of trying out new stitches, etc. And i put the squares together to make things, so it wasn't a wasted effort.

Ravelry is a good site, and I do get a magazine now and again.

Givemecaffeine21 Fri 24-Oct-14 14:32:15

How about starting with simple granny squares, buy a few colours of stylecraft wool, and make a blanket eventually like this found on Attic 24:

Givemecaffeine21 Fri 24-Oct-14 14:32:59

(The beauty being it's all individual squares so less daunting)

sooperdooper Fri 24-Oct-14 14:34:02

I started out with Amigarumi's they're really quick and cute and simple as they're all done in single crochet smile

greatamigurumi.blogspot.com/

MiaowTheCat Mon 27-Oct-14 16:20:29

I've done a lot of different granny square patterns - you need about anywhere between 3x3 and 5x5 for a cushion cover really so a quick easy fix to get me familiar with various stitch patterns - oodles of ideas on that one out there (I like the 100 bright and colourful granny squares to mix and match book, and one called The Granny Square book - but that second one's in US terms... doesn't bother me since I work from charts now but might phase a newbie).

Other than that- some of the magazines... I personally like Love Crochet (it's the only one I really go out of my way to buy, others just accidentally fall into the supermarket trolley on occasion) because it's got a decent mix of things I'll actually do rather than 40 pages of crocheted cushions and throws from John Lewis and yet another interview with Lucy Attic - nice mix of amigarumi (can never spell that) and toys, hats and homewear stuff.

Or there's things like the Attic 24 wreathes which you can just chuck in loads of little bits and bobs of flowers and the like (my mum did one which has turned out stunning)... plus I make a lot of things like flower hair bobbles for the DDs (buggered if I'm buying 'em at the speed they lose the blighters).

For cushion covers you can cheat as well - I buy the £3 or whatever they are plain black covers from Ikea and just attach a crochet front to them because I can't be bothered finding where I've put the sewing machine (I'm more than capable of making one - it's just cheaper and easier).

MiaowTheCat Mon 27-Oct-14 16:20:58

Oh and the MN Yarnaholics FB group is always a good place to get ideas from.

Umlauf Tue 04-Nov-14 10:32:03

Yes yes do a wreath! I started in September by learning little things like holly leaves, roses, mistletoe, tiny stars etc, mostly using Attic24, kept them all, and then finally, this week, fashioned them into a wreath! Will post a pic as I am forever showing it off (very proud!) It is basically a showcase of all the different things I learned to do.

ineedsomeinspiration Tue 04-Nov-14 22:44:30

Wow Umluaf that is amazing I want to make something like that. It is now my goal.

I brought the love crochet magazine and have managed some crochet paper chain. There's also a set of lovely baskets in there I want yo make for my Mum.

I am managing some granny squares too and have joined 3 together. Won't be good enough to display though.

EdwiniasRevenge Tue 04-Nov-14 22:51:53

I love amigurumi. Loads of quirky projects, some can be made in a couple of hours. I never finish 'flat' projects but I do my amigurumi. Pick your favourite animal or character and google 'pig amigurumi' and you'll find some to get you going....I'm currently working on a giraffe but in the past have made winnie the pooh, hello kitty, mario, stitch, guinea pigs, eagles, minions...

although not strictly amigurumi, but still worked in the round I've made to poppies this evening. I think there is a selection of my work on my profile.

ineedsomeinspiration Fri 07-Nov-14 10:08:54

I made a baby guinea pig! Not exactly amazing but not bad for a first attempt. My ds has now informed me I need to make him a mummy and daddy guinea pig too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now