Talk

Advanced search

Soap making novice!

(8 Posts)
BigBirthdayGloom Fri 21-Feb-14 19:17:09

Dd has found the soap making section in a craft book and is keen to give it a go. I've been looking at sites that sell the stuff and can't decide whether we'd be better off with a kit or just get the individual bits and bobs. She'd like to make clear soaps with coloured shapes, I fancy doing ones with lavender on the top. With a melt and pour base, are those okay beginners' projects? She's eight. I'm not! Thanks in advance for any tips.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 22-Feb-14 15:47:41

No idea sorry but just watching with interest smile

DameFanny Sat 22-Feb-14 20:01:45

Start with a kit - you can always reuse the mould etc if you want to do more. Then have a google for more bits as and when?

DameFanny Sat 22-Feb-14 20:03:29

Oh, and if you're using melt and pour bases start keeping the plastic shapes that often come around children's toys as potential future soap moulds.

BigBirthdayGloom Sat 22-Feb-14 21:09:49

Thank you, dame fanny. Good to know. Will get a kit-any advice on which ones are good?

DameFanny Sun 23-Feb-14 17:45:27

Not a clue tbh - I got into cold process with the scary chemicals straightaway - but ds wasn't interested so safety wasn't an issue.

BigBirthdayGloom Tue 25-Feb-14 20:24:02

Bought a kit today. The moulds are good and it's got a big lump of the base material to melt so I think it probably worked out a bit cheaper than buying everything separately-although I'm not absolutely sure! Hope dd enjoys it!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 25-Feb-14 20:31:14

Hope you have a lovely time together. Let us know how you get on smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now