Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me choose a sewing machine?

(5 Posts)
spinaltap Mon 26-Sep-11 14:33:58

I know NOTHING about sewing machines, except that I got on really badly with them at school. grin

But I really want to get into sewing as there are loads of things I want to make.

What do I need to consider before buying? Do I just go for the most expensive I can afford, or one with the most features? I guess I would be more likely to buy a brand I have heard of, e.g. Singer, Brother. I really am a total newbie, so any advice would be useful! I've had a look at them on the net, but it's not really helping.

Thank you!

Fayrazzled Mon 26-Sep-11 14:43:30

I've got a Janome 525 Sewist and I love it. Janome seems to be a very popular sewing machine brand and I have heard they are better quality than Singer or Brother machines (metal rather than plastic interiors). Janome also make the John Lewis own brand machines.

I'd recommend going to a JL store if you have one near you, or other sewing machine stockist, and having a go on a few different machines. Then buy a Janome one. smile

DorisVinyard Mon 26-Sep-11 15:26:30

I was (still am) a complete novice when I bought mine and it has been really easy to use. I've only made things like curtains but it's been great. It's a Wimsew. I bought it because it was the cheapest.

PopcornMouse Mon 26-Sep-11 16:06:26

I have a janome from John Lewis (DC3050) and love it.

More ££ doesn't necessarily mean a better machine, but conversely I wouldn't spend less than £100 or you'll be getting plastic tatt that will break in 6 months. Think about what you plan to do with it - if not now, then in a year - and buy a machine to suit; to get the best for your money, you want something you'll grow into, rather than grow out of.

Hth smile

spinaltap Mon 26-Sep-11 18:37:59

That's all great, thanks guys. I never would have considered Janome before as hadn't heard of them. I'm not that near a John Lewis, but it's a really good excuse for a shopping trip to Norwich!

I was thinking of spending about £150 as I want something that's going to last at least 20 years! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now