Talk

Advanced search

Tracing patterns - help me!

(6 Posts)
globex Thu 15-Sep-11 10:25:40

Hello - I'm a bit rubbish at sewing and I think the problems start even before I actually get the sewing machine out.

At the moment I'm tracing patterns on to clear plastic-y stuff with a marker - they were specifically sold for that job but I find the marker too thick and the plastic too slippery and it all ends up looking not quite right..

What do other people use?! I don't know anyone else who sews so I'm really missing the obvious answers..

Please help me!

GetOutMyPub Thu 15-Sep-11 17:29:16

I use baking paper and weight it down with some jars whilst I am tracing it.

However, I still have problems cutting out the fabric using the pattern pieces though & would welcome some tips (sorry to hijack thread but you will need to know that next OP grin).

dutchmanswife Thu 15-Sep-11 17:33:47

I use thin sew in interfacing and a felt tip pen. Works well for me.

globex Fri 16-Sep-11 08:56:36

Thanks for answers.. I think a rotary cutter (is that what they're called?) and paper might be the way to go... Or a giant photocopier

GetOutMyPub Sat 17-Sep-11 16:05:51

you need to use a self-heal mat with a rotary cutter.

I have one for quilting (a3) but it was too small for cutting out dress patterns and it turned into bit of a disaster, as everytime I moved the mat, the fabric moved & then there were the times that I forgot to move the mat blush

Would love a bigger one, but they are quite expensive.

Piglett Sun 18-Sep-11 16:58:15

I have thought about buying 5 or 6 A3 self heal cutting mats (Home Bargains have them for a couple of quid) and sticking them onto a piece of plywood or chipboard. the only problem I forsee is that they have rounded corners and not sur whether I should cut them to square them off and then stick, any ideas? Sorry for post hyjack!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now