Talk

Advanced search

Does everyone follow a pattern when making clothes?

(3 Posts)

I've got loads of old bits I'd like to re-make into clothes for DD 15months but not sure how to go about it. Do I need to follow a pattern or is it possible to figure it out as you go?!

joruth Tue 13-Sep-11 16:35:39

you can do it without...I don't tend to buy patterns for childrens clothes but take a paper (usually newspaper) pattern from something that you know fits and you like. Remember to leave extra for darts/gathers/hems etc.
If this is too hard than there are quite a few free downloadable patterns on the web for basics.
Simple pinafores you might be able to just measure and cut if you are confident and careful.
Happy sewing

kellestar Wed 14-Sep-11 19:47:47

I am with joruth on this, I hardly ever use a pattern, often taking apart things that I like the shape of, but not neccessarily the material. I make newspaper patterns. I also modify off the cuff as well, often these are the most loose fit clothes that are great with a belt. You may make a few mistakes on the way, wonky hems or tight armholes, but they are part of the learning process.

I am one of those that loves to make for others, especially my neice, but not for myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now