Talk

Advanced search

what sewing machine to buy

(4 Posts)
nowisthetime Mon 25-Jul-11 09:47:42

Im just starting out sewing and am in a tizzy as to which make of sewing machine to buy. I'm looking to spend the money now and buy a good machine rather than having to upgrade in a year or two. My mum always had singer but have heard that they aren't the same quality as they used to be. I would be grateful of any help. I'm living in Ireland and would need a company that would deliver here.

nevergoogle Mon 25-Jul-11 09:54:36

i like janome.

i have this one. janome DC3050 and cannot fault it. my previous machine was a singer and very noisy with not as many features ie. button holes, stitches etc.
although i haven't tried quilting i believe my janome one is good for thick materials too.

Which recommends the Brother BC2100.

Pleiades45 Mon 25-Jul-11 12:58:07

I used to live in Ireland and remember looking around for a machine. My conclusion after talking to experienced quilters were that Janome were good value for money. Lots of features without the cost being high. A lot of the websites will deliver to ireland for a charge and there is a guy in Ireland who services Janome but I can't remember his name. I'd say the important thing is to make sure you know you can get someone to service it and if you get an electronic one, then only a Janome approved/trained engineer will agree to open it. If you do get an electronic one, then buy a UPS plug so that any sparks don't cause problems with the electronics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now