Talk

Advanced search

Old coins

(6 Posts)
Tinkerisdead Fri 27-May-11 15:37:50

I have a big pile of old coins, sixpences and the like that I was given when my grandad died. They are worthless but sentimental. They've sat in a box for ten years and I want to do something with them.

I'm one for trying lots of crafts so open to any ideas but I can only think to make a charm bracelet. That involves drilling the coins which worries me and i've never attempted jewellery making before. Can anyone else think of an idea?

rockinhippy Fri 27-May-11 16:30:40

A bracelet would be lovely - I have one made with silver chain & old silver francs & I love it & often gets compliments when I wear it

you could get jewellery findings - the little decorative bits with loops that glue into gemstones etc (the ones I can't remember the correct name for right nowblush ) - that way you won't need to drill them, but solder or metal glue & the findings are decorative so will add to the design smile

That said, if you have something like a "Dremell" drilling small holes etc isn't too difficult

Tinkerisdead Fri 27-May-11 19:32:45

Oh thank you. <goes off to call dads and stepdads in search of a dremell>

Dingle Sat 28-May-11 10:18:47

How about a scrapbook layout or a framed picture of your grandad and using some of the coins as embellishments. You could use the coins in the actual picture or even decorate some sort of box frame.

verybusyspider Wed 01-Jun-11 10:37:10

This guy sells pendants made out of coins in cambridge - it does involve cutting the coin but the results are beautiful, there aren't many pictures on the website tho www.hairygrowler.co.uk/pencelticcross.html

GentleOtter Wed 01-Jun-11 10:41:27

old coins picture frame

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now